Saturday, October 5, 2024 10:41:43 PM

TA/TC 21 Shock Absorbers

12 years ago
#809 Quote
I fitted Gabriel Ultra shock absorbers to my TA21. The front being 69641 and the rear 69617. I find then rather firm. I would be interested to hear from members who have sourced their own shock absorbers and can provide details and comments about their ride quality.  Richard Posted by RichardWallach 31/05/2012 22:23:19
8 years ago
#810 Quote
Does anyone out there have a source for refurbishing shock absorbers?  One of the rear shockers on my 108G is losing its oil. I was intending to fit a new pair of Monroe's that I bought at Beaulieu Autojumble in September, but the shockers fitted to the car are fancy coil-over adjustable jobs, of undetermined manufacture (until I remove them, hopefully), but from an hour's surfing last night I can't find any companys that overhaul them.  And if I can't get them overhauled, any recommendations for an equivalent replacement?  Next question - can I remove them without removing the spare wheel tray? After quickly scrabbling under the car this weekend it looks like I will just about be able to get a spanner onto the top bolt, but I don't know for sure yet as I haven't tried in anger.  Anyone out there done this job and able to advise please? Posted by Angus D'Arcy-Drake 23/11/2015 10:20:21
8 years ago
#811 Quote
I have not personally used them (I am in USA and have found a USA based co.), but I understand these folks are highly recommended:  <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vintageandclassicshockabsorbers.co.uk/">http://www.vintageandclassicshockabsorbers.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->  Good luck! Posted by johnlayzell 23/11/2015 14:45:30
8 years ago
#812 Quote
Hi Angus,  If I were you I would replace both of the old shock absorbers for your Monroes. If one of the old units is leaking the other won't last long and you don't want 'odd' components anyway.   I have replaced the rear shocks on a few 3 litres 'on my back' and sometimes it goes easily , sometimes not. I would take off the spare wheel tray for improved access, there is not much clearance to replace the bolt from under the car and I usually refit it the other way round through the cutouts in the floor pan behind the rear seat. There are two spacer washers that you have to juggle into place in addition to the shocker which is fiddly. By fitting the bolt from inside the car you can tap it in a little at a time and 'hang' the first washer in place then the shocker and finally the second washer. If the shock absorbers have loose rubber bushes they will keep falling out just as you offer the unit up into place, I have stuck them in with a dab of silicone the night before to make things easier.    The bottom end is secured with a split pin and retaining washer and it can be difficult to compress the bushes far enough to get the split pin in. I have cut two slots in a 1'' length of tube of sufficient width to fit over the mounting pin which I use with a 'g' clamp to compress the assembly, then slip the pin in through the hole revealed by the slots in the tube.  Good luck, Andrew Wisdom Posted by tf1695 23/11/2015 15:51:24
8 years ago
#814 Quote
Excellent and very useful information, thank you all. Some points for further thought, as the 3 litre suspension seems to have quite a few variations in existence:  - I noted Armstrong shocks listed as standard for 3 litre cars, I think TD21-S1 onwards. Front AT9/2127C (62-2080.D) and Rear AT9/2128A (64-2141.B). But no cross-reference from Monroe or other later manufacturers.  - I noted some cars with 8 leaf rear springs, some with 9. One assumes this could influence choice of shock fitment.  - Was a cast alloy support / spacer-disc in the lower wishbone of 3 litre front suspension a works `option´ to give firmer springing, or did it become a later standard? (I found them in WMD's TA21, and they do firm up the front end a bit).  - I noted 2 different thicknesses of anti-roll bar. Chris Prince thought the thicker one was earlier (TA/TC).  - I note Spax adjustable gas units are now being offered; Front G371 and Rear G372. I have not seen any spec. on them. Listed for TF, 1963-67, and not `cheap´ at approx. GBP 122 each. Theoretically they should perhaps fit and be adjustable for earlier 3 litre springing as well as TF? Has anyone fitted these and found it was worth paying the extra?  - Any experience with the Harvey-Bailey set-up for the 3 litre? Which shocks are used, what diameter anti-roll bar(s) etc. A tech. article for the bulletin could be in the offing if someone can be bothered to collate enough information in a presentable form......  Giles Lacey Posted by lacey giles 23/11/2015 22:22:34
8 years ago
#815 Quote
Update - I've got the old shockers off now, but discovered my Beaulieu bargain ain't what it first appeared as they are nowhere near large enough - so they will be presented back to the stall-holder next September with a demand for a refund! The question is then gents - Is it worth splashing out on a fancy pair of replacement SPAX coil-over shockers (or similar) or just going for the standard Monroe unit that Chris Prince offers?  Chris' are £78/ea inc VAT and SPAX are £114/ea.  I haven't priced the Pedders units yet.  Although I'm an enthusiastic driver, the car's hardly a sports car and I wonder whether non-standard units are really worth the extra investment? Posted by Angus D'Arcy-Drake 07/12/2015 10:15:16
8 years ago
#816 Quote
I have fitted the Spax units to the last three 3 litres I have rebuilt, once correctly adjusted for your driving style they are excellent but it takes a lot of trail and error. The TC21/100 saloon I had was the best handling Alvis I have ever driven and really was 'sporting'. I have them on my current TF21 but haven't got there yet regarding the suspension set up.  Unless you are replacing all four at the same time I would go with the standard units.   The problem with the front Spax is that the adjuster resides within the coil spring and is difficult to reach unless the bottom brackets are unfastened and the shock absorber is pulled down.sufficiently.  Andrew Wisdom Posted by tf1695 07/12/2015 19:17:21
8 years ago
#817 Quote
A note of caution. If uprated shock absorbers are fitted in order to enjoy more spirited motoring then consideration should be given to the two steering arms (C5932 + 3), image A23 in the Catalogue of Spare Parts. These two items pick up the steering loads and there is not a generous amount of metal at their ends. A later version with a more generous profile replaced the original component. I would be inspecting these parts for fatigue as part of the regular maintenance regime. A smear of oily dirt can easily hide a potential issue.    Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 08/12/2015 10:25:08
8 years ago
#818 Quote
Richard  That is quite a show stopper  Do you know when &quot;the more generous profile&quot; was introduced,and did the original suspect items have a different part nos.. I am lucky to own both a  fairly seriously uprated (by RT for their own use) TA21, with Spax all round, from 1951 and a fairly std  1964 TE but with original hydraulic PAS and Spax at the back,I'm told I tend to press on. The parts book for the TE quotes the same part nos. as the TA .The &quot;TA&quot; book  is dated June 1954 and covers TA,TC &amp;TC21/100. Do you know if there is a simple way of identifying what is fitted,I know almost all parts have their  no. cast or stamped somewhere.  Seasons Greetings to All  Peter Posted by Peter Martin 08/12/2015 16:35:07
8 years ago
#819 Quote
Peter,  I have attached  rather poor images (the BB restricted the size of the image) of the ends of the two arms. I feel that you should be able to identify the type fitted to your car(s) from the images. {Who knows what has been changed over the years?} The black arm was the Works later replacement and as can be seen has a  substantially thicker end profile.  They share the same part number. The thicker arms were part of a group of spares that I purchased from the Alvis Car Club here in Victoria. In Australia only the TA-TC were imported and sold through the dealership network, hence the spares and this provides my reasoning that the replacement arm was probably from around the time of the TC series but I cannot be sure.  Seasons Greetings, Richard  Melbourne [attachment=1:jitwk16w]<!-- ia1 -->Steering arms.PNG<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment:jitwk16w][attachment=0:jitwk16w]<!-- ia0 -->Steering arms side on.PNG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:jitwk16w] Posted by RichardWallach 08/12/2015 23:09:10