Friday, August 16, 2024 6:38:25 AM

1948 TA-14 DHC restoration story/blog

11 years ago
#693 Quote
Alan: My wife paid for the Alvis badge to be restored at Red Triangle in the UK as a wedding present to me! I do have my radiator cap, but its in the attic, so not easily accessible to measure. Chris Prince would be a good starting point for finding a replacement. <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chrisprince.co.uk/index.php?p0=carparts">www.chrisprince.co.uk/index.php?p0=carparts</a><!-- w -->  Vic: I've been through the coachbuilder research previously and nobody (AOC or otherwise) seems to have any information about Bensons of Birmingham. I have one letter in my history file which confirms that my car was built by them, and suggests that they may have built a second one, but that is all.  Paul. Posted by pryantcc 16/01/2013 18:18:04
11 years ago
#694 Quote
Looking at your pictures again.  What type of paint did you choose for your chassis? Alan Posted by alsfarms 18/01/2013 02:31:52
11 years ago
#695 Quote
[quote=&quot;alsfarms&quot;:14zpheek]Looking at your pictures again.  What type of paint did you choose for your chassis? Alan[/quote:14zpheek]  Hi Alan, I used this stuff: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.frost.co.uk/frost-chassis-black-paint.html">http://www.frost.co.uk/frost-chassis-black-paint.html</a><!-- m -->  I was disappointed though, to find that it isn't petrol proof. My carb was dripping over night once onto the chassis leg and the paint had gone all wrinkly where it happened. I would probably try to find something harder if I was doing it again.  Paul. Posted by pryantcc 18/01/2013 11:09:28
11 years ago
#696 Quote
hmmm, that Frost product looks to be similar to a product we have here in the US &quot;POR-15&quot;.  It is a brush applied chassis and undercoat paint.  Works good under the car and out of sunlight.  The UV gives it a hurt if left in the sun.  I have considered powder coating for my DHC, but have not made my mind up yet.  Did you brush apply the black or spray?  I have seen POR-15 used on a 1912 Cadillac &quot;show car&quot; and you absolutely could not see brush marks, if flows that well.  Are you going to use 185 x 16&quot; tires when you get to that point?   Al Posted by alsfarms 18/01/2013 14:03:10
11 years ago
#697 Quote
Hello Paul, I have a question for you.  Do you know, was all new Alvis cars or running gears sold when they left the factory.  I don't think Alvis loaded up new car dealers, like Chevrolet or Ford did or now does, so we could go and look for the car we want to buy. Al Posted by alsfarms 11/02/2013 14:58:14
11 years ago
#698 Quote
Hi Al, Sorry I missed your first questions. I think that POR-15 is far superior to the Frost paint. I'd use that if I was doing the job again. I haven't even thought about tyres. I'd like to have something which looks authentic though.  I don't know about whether or not cars were sold before leaving the factory. I would think that the more common ones we sold from dealerships, but have not heard any evidence to suggest that I'm right! Posted by pryantcc 12/02/2013 22:13:31
11 years ago
#699 Quote
What is the next order of business for your DHC TA-14?  Will you be close to interior trim this summer?  I wonder how similar the fenders are between the Mulliner an DHC versions of the TA-14's?  Do you have any ideas? Alan Posted by alsfarms 13/02/2013 02:59:21
11 years ago
#700 Quote
[quote=&quot;alsfarms&quot;:2a7my5vo]What is the next order of business for your DHC TA-14? Will you be close to interior trim this summer? [/quote:2a7my5vo] I'm a bit stuck now because I have two young kids who are taking all my time. I need to get it painted, then assembly starts. Once that's done, I guess I'd move on to the interior. I can't see anything at all happening for a number of years though!  [quote=&quot;alsfarms&quot;:2a7my5vo]   I wonder how similar the fenders are between the Mulliner an DHC versions of the TA-14's?  Do you have any ideas? Alan[/quote:2a7my5vo] What do you mean by &quot;fenders&quot;? The front wings? I think that the wings are the same, they were shipped with the chassis. Posted by pryantcc 13/02/2013 13:01:21
11 years ago
#701 Quote
Hello Paul, I can relate to being busy with family and kids!  Did Alvis only ship front wings with the new chassis or did they also ship the rear wings also?  I am hoping to use the rear wings from my Mulliner salon on my Carbodies DHC, if they will fit.  They are much better on the Mulliner than my DHC rear wings.  I have not as yet pulled or compared any parts as I only want to start that process when I can dedicate time to get things done and not leave parts laying about.  Do you know how much of the Tickford cars were aluminum?  My carbodies DHC has minimal aluminum, with more rust and wood rot than makes me happy but I can handle it all.  My top set and interior is not to bad so I have a good start point. Regards, Alan Posted by alsfarms 13/02/2013 17:11:29
11 years ago
#702 Quote
oops.... sorry for using the term &quot;fender&quot; our American equivalent of your &quot;wing&quot;.  I need to make sure, as I learn them, that I speak properly, bonnet, hood and other terms may mean something different to both of us... Alan Posted by alsfarms 13/02/2013 17:15:56