Saturday, October 5, 2024 10:42:20 PM

TD front brake hose & caliper kit part #'s wanted

10 years ago
#1204 Quote
Hello all, Hoping to get these matched up here, as there is a good selection of British car spares in the U.S., but not listed as Alvis bits. Looking for the Lockheed numbers or known interchanges for the flex hoses and caliper kits. Wayne Brooks has sent me a good deal of info, but this info was not included. In fact I may be a bit of nuisance to him at this point, so I am letting him be for a while.  Cheers, Kurt Posted by aerokurt 21/08/2014 22:57:07
10 years ago
#1205 Quote
Hello Kurt, Series 1 cars were fitted with Lockheed H-Type calipers.  Also listed as used on Austin A99, Princess 3 litre, and Wolseley 6/99, with slight variation.  Lockheed nr. for 1x caliper seal-kit is SSB 2603.  Piston nr. is 107638.  Pads listed as LDB1.F0, FER 2430 F. Sold in axle-sets.  Some Lockheed parts are still to be found (ebay etc.), but probably the best source today is Chris Prince.  I purchased flex hoses, caliper + piston seal kits, and master cylinder from him, all were in stock, good and not overpriced. Check his website for all TD21 brake parts available.  Be careful with bleeding after any brake work, it is not easy to get all air out of the servo parts (especially the reaction-piston). Binding of the front brakes is not unknown after brake-work.  Have plenty of fresh fluid, bleed first with engine off, then again with engine running, test run the car, and bleed front brakes again (energetically) if any signs of binding have occurred. If in doubt about the servo, either overhaul it or replace it complete. An old servo will almost certainly have worn seals, may be working fine, but brake fluid can weep into the main chamber and cause rust problems + main piston-seal wear.  Hope this helps, Giles Lacey Posted by lacey giles 22/08/2014 08:33:14
10 years ago
#1206 Quote
Not a nuisance Posted by waynealvis 22/08/2014 14:06:46
10 years ago
#1207 Quote
Thank you, Giles,   The car came with a new booster unit. I do understand well the work involved in bleeding these, as I have had to do a number of similar arrangements on  Rovers and many Jags. They were never easy.  Chris Prince's site did have part numbers for the hoses. Pursuing these now. I had already started making up some aeroquip units, although it would be simpler just to match up the originals.  I have to say that I find most everything in England to be quite highly priced by comparison to the identical items here. Perhaps double in the case of the hoses from Mr. Prince. It is odd that parts imported from England sell for less, much less, here.  Moreover, when we did order parts from Red Triangle, it took weeks to get here, in spite of paying highly for quick service. Nor were they very prompt in their communications. Our experience. Perhaps yours is better.  Cheers for now, Kurt Posted by aerokurt 22/08/2014 15:36:45