Saturday, October 5, 2024 10:48:27 PM

Steering Wheel Boss

11 years ago
#1143 Quote
I wish to replace the boss in the centre of the steering wheel of my TE21, as the indicator switch is broken on mine. The bakelite lugs which cancel the indicator have broken off. I've bought a replacement from Chris Prince, but I can't quite work out how to fit it. The tube which goes down into the steering column obviously needs to be clamped so that it does not turn with the steering wheel - but I can't see how to do this. The body of the unit is held in place relative to the steering wheel by grub screws, so I can see that. When I turn the unit in my hand, it drags the indicator switch with the turn of the wheel, so perhaps I need to clean the innards. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks, Mike Posted by Mikee 24/03/2013 16:39:52
11 years ago
#1144 Quote
Thanks, Alan - that helps me understand better what I have to do next. Let's hope one of the experts posts an answer soon! I bought a replacement from Chris Prince and I intend to take the best bits out of that one and mine to make one really good one.  Cheers, Mike Posted by Mikee 01/04/2013 22:00:09
11 years ago
#1145 Quote
Mike The retaining disc of the boss is held firmly against the wheel by the 3 pointy grub screws,make sure the retaining disc is sitting in its groove on the wheel. The 8" stator tube is not clamped as far as I know it relies on the 4 dimples on the end slotting into the long tube that goes to the bottom of the column where it is clamped .If the boss is being dragged round, try lubricating the sealed spring loaded collar thing between the retaining disc and the rest of the assembly. When you reassemble take care not to trap or break any of the wires particularly the horn earth Alan If you merely want to remove the horn/trafficator bit all you need to do is to undo the 3 grub screws behind the wheel and you can withdraw the assy complete with a short tube which slots into the long tube ,obviously make sure you have released the cables and attached something to pullthem back down,the wires +lucar connectors are a tight fit in the inner  long  tube which you can leave & yes oil will come out if you release it. To remove wheel itself once you have the boss +wires out the way, the wheel is retained on the main inner column by a circlip.the Parts book for the TD S11& S111 has an exploded drawing on page 105 which shows the complete assy it also lists all the parts for the horn assy ..I strongly recommend you get a copy they come up on ebay or try RT. the drawings and parts listed therein have enabled me to take my TE to bits ,order new parts and re-assemble,without it I would have stuck many times over. Hope the above helps Posted by Peter Martin 04/04/2013 11:50:02
11 years ago
#1146 Quote
Thanks, Peter - I have the parts book, and I'll have a go at the weekend. Your advice is much appreciated. Cheers, Mike Posted by Mikee 04/04/2013 20:51:54