Saturday, October 5, 2024 10:40:39 PM

Series 1 TD21 Tuning Info Request

11 years ago
#1113 Quote
Alan,  there are timing marks on the flywheel, which you can just about see via the aperture in the top of the bellhousing. You will see grooves cut into the edge of the flywheel.I think there are four: tdc to 15 degrees. Not the easiest things to spot! The correct setting at idle is 10 degrees before TDC with no more than 34degress bTDC at 3,000 rpm, for a TD I think. 15 degrees for a TF? All the engine settings (as standard) are in Nick Walker's book "The 3 Litre in Detail"  which I recommend.    I can't help you on carb settings. I balance mine individually and judge it on tailpipe colour/performance, although I am told that isn't such a reliable measure with modern fuel. Posted by Angus D'Arcy-Drake 19/02/2013 09:42:10
11 years ago
#1114 Quote
Alan Later TD's have the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley at the front of the engine and provided it has not lost the outer damper ring and the fixed pointer at  1 o'clock is in place timing is easy as it is marked over about 30*. If the damper ring is missing or worse it has come off and been refitted in the wrong place you are in trouble.The car will run happily without the damper.The Motor Trader data sheet for the TD no.343 gives the following info. Static timing 5* BTDC ,centrifugal advance 22-26* max at 6000rpm vacuum advance is the same. Not sure about 6000rpm! .Maybe  =3000engine rpm re carb tuning I am no more technical than the handbook or Angus, The author of the book Angus referred to is David Culshaw,& I also strongly recommend it.  Peter Posted by Peter Martin 19/02/2013 11:12:57
11 years ago
#1115 Quote
Hello, I set the carbs to approx. 2.5 to 3.5 at tick over. Setting to 1 is too low. Concerning the timing, beware of a stuck distributor, the weights inside tend to stick and therefore will not advance properly. If you need any more info please ask. Posted by john douglas 28/06/2013 11:06:41