Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:01:52 PM

Lucas spot & foglamp mounting

6 years ago
#1018 Quote
Can anybody supply details of how the spotlamps are fixed to the front valance please (on a TC21).  I have a pair of slr 700 lamps which end in a short, externally threaded tube with the cable in it, plus a pair of chrome pillars about 3" long. There are 2 small pieces of angle iron which look as thought they bolt to the jacking tubes at the front of the chassis. I presume that what I need is something that goes up the centre of the pillar to screw to the lamp, and which goes through the valance and into the small right angle bracket under the valance? Any details, photos or tips would be very welcome! (apologies for my garbled verbal description). I am happy to make up the bits but would like it to look original if possible. Thanks, Jon Posted by drdowhitt 29/04/2018 23:16:33
6 years ago
#1019 Quote
Jon  You are looking for a long, hollow, internally threaded bolt which goes up through the bracket & valance & pillar to pick up the external thread on the lamp. I believe the usual pillar length for a TC21 is 6.5" with an equally long bolt, so your pillars may be from a different car. Try CPrince or ebay.  Peter Posted by Peter Martin 30/04/2018 08:23:52
6 years ago
#1020 Quote
Jon.  Do you have the right angled brackets welded on the inside of each chassis rail as per the image below?  If you do check that they are flush with the front valence  otherwise the pillar will bend the valence downwards and may crack the paint when tightened {unlike in the image - on my car it was a later addition and I had a gap of about 1/2 cm on one of them}. The solution is to put packing between the bracket and the underside of the valence. You can see the hollow bolt that Peter mentioned. This runs right through to the top and screws into the light fitting. The light fitting should have a cutout that snags on to the lamp casing. This prevents the lamp bolt from turning. If it does so bend the tab out so that it engages the lamp bolt.    Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 30/04/2018 09:56:40
6 years ago
#1021 Quote
Many thanks Peter & Richard, that has clarified that nicely! My brackets look as though they were bolted to the chassis legs, but I will be welding them in place now. Kind regards Jon Posted by drdowhitt 30/04/2018 20:44:48