Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:09:29 PM

Fitting a TD motor to a TA21

8 years ago
#990 Quote
I would like to hear from members who have fitted a TD motor into a TA21 and the issues faced in doing so, in particular how the throttle linkage was set up. I would also like to know whether the results were regarded as being satisfactory.  Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 16/07/2016 05:02:11
8 years ago
#991 Quote
I did this one 20 odd years ago so from memory, swap the engine back plate over to mate up to the TA21 gearbox bellhousing. I used pancake air filters, the TD filter box is to wide. TD exhaust system. Use the TA throttle linkages but make a bracket to mount the bell crank on the TD inlet manifold. Blank off the brake servo stub on the TD inlet manifold - unless you already have a servo on the TA21.Swap the top alloy casting for the radiator hose.  I used the car with this engine in it daily for a couple of years with no particular issues.  Andrew Posted by tf1695 18/07/2016 16:51:10
8 years ago
#992 Quote
Richard  Andrew has covered most things There may also be issues with the clutch/flywheel , also the original gear box may not like an eatra 20ish HP. My TA came with a TE/F engine ( but only 2 carbs.with TF head, valves & cam)and a TF gearbox so not quite the same as yours. The original TD/E style air filter was accommodated by a crank arranngment  to keep the bonnet down, I changed this to pancake filters,the throttle linkage looks fairly easy to modify. If you send your personal email I can send you a few pictures.The brakes on my car were also improved, Dunlop disc on front axle HR back axle with the handbrake  between the  front seats,+ a servo so she stops ok..The seats could be Triumph. The thermostat cover needs to be changed to make the top hose align.The whole ensemple is very fast. Good Luck Peter Posted by Peter Martin 21/07/2016 21:05:00
8 years ago
#993 Quote
Roly Simonds modified my TC108/G  with a later engine. It is fitted with a throttle cable instead of a linkage, which works well.  Standard TD air filter accommodated by a modified inner-wing.  The TA-TC gearbox seems to cope fine with the extra poke - albeit I have rebuilt it relatively recently. Standard clutch.  Re-route the fuel line around the front of the chassis rather than using the original layout though. Modern fuel does not seem to cope with sitting in that warm copper pipe above the engine. Servo fitted and Lockheed discs up front, fitted by the works in period. Posted by Angus D'Arcy-Drake 22/07/2016 10:25:18
8 years ago
#994 Quote
Angus and Peter,  Thankyou for your advise. Peter my email is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:richardwallach@hotmail.com">richardwallach@hotmail.com</a><!-- e --> I would certainly like some images, especially of the linkages and the front radiator hose connections.    Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 01/08/2016 11:18:23