Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:12:37 PM

Smiths fuel tank pick up unit - TA21

10 years ago
#920 Quote
Correction - It is a Lucas unit  I would appreciate if a member can advise me of the lengths of the fuel pick up pipes and whether they are both encased in the fine wire mesh cage. If they are I would like to know the distance from the bottom of the longest pipe to the base of the mesh cage.  With respect to the solenoid I would appreciate members comments as to whether it can be made to function properly.  Thanks in advance. Richard Posted by RichardWallach 04/06/2014 10:44:25
10 years ago
#921 Quote
Richard  Can't be certain for a TA but I'm sure a TE is very similar.  Long pipe 23.5cm from casting shoulder,Short pipe 18cm. Both pipe ends enclosed by fine mesh. longer pipe is virtually on tank bottom . Re solenoid ,provided coil has not burnt out the issue is the shuttle valve gunged up in the housing ,from memory it is a ball bearing/spring and should respond to WD40 or similar + prodding.You get at it by removing the connection nipple Once you have it working keep using it to prevent sticking, you can hear it operate if you select reserve with the engine off.I presume you are replacing the pipes,the originals tend to split and cause endless starvation issues.  Peter Posted by Peter Martin 04/06/2014 15:17:26
10 years ago
#922 Quote
Thanks Peter,  Chris Prince mentioned that the TA pipes are shorter but I don't know by how much. I have a "Heath Robinson" set up at present with a rubber hose attached to a sawn off pipe. The reserve pipe is missing and the hole has been blocked off. I am tying to assemble enough parts to make a good one. Posted by RichardWallach 04/06/2014 21:35:12
10 years ago
#923 Quote
Richard, The TA pipes are specific to that model (in Three litre cars) I have two Grey ladies and they are longer than the one in my TA. I won't be able to get onto it this week, but will remove mine and give you the measurements. If you send me your email address I will send a photo as well (I'm not sure how to do it in this format) Phil Posted by pdadd 05/06/2014 05:52:43
10 years ago
#924 Quote
Thanks Phil,  My email address is:  <!-- e --><a href="mailto:richardwallach@hotmail.com">richardwallach@hotmail.com</a><!-- e --> Posted by RichardWallach 05/06/2014 10:59:12
10 years ago
#925 Quote
Hi Richard, I have forwarded the photos to your email address. I have taken the measurements from the bottom of the stepped piece, i. e. at the point where the two pipes are sweated into the unit. The main pipe is 5 1/2&quot; and the reserve is 7 1/4&quot;. This pipe appears to go to the bottom of the gauze filter but the bottom of this is dented, suggesting that the measurement to the bottom of the gauze is 7 3/8&quot;. It also suggests that the gauze sits on or is very close to the bottom of the tank. The reserve pipe is on the petrol outlet side and must be &quot;felt&quot; into position. Both pipes are within the gauze filter which is soldered onto both these pipes. My car is a Tickford bodied DHC whereas yours is a Mulliner bodied Saloon --- maybe the petrol tanks are different, but I do not know. Certainly the pipes in the Grey Lady Saloon are about 1&quot; to 1 1/2&quot; longer than those in the TA21. Phil Posted by pdadd 11/06/2014 01:09:04
10 years ago
#926 Quote
Phil,  Your response and images are greatly appreciated.   Regards  Richard Posted by RichardWallach 11/06/2014 09:20:18