Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:05:58 PM

Radiator Preesure Relief Valve

10 years ago
#914 Quote
I took the radiator relief valve out of my TA21 DHC for regular maintence and cleaning and was surprised to find that it sits on a 3mm thick rubber washer. The washer itself appears somewhat deformed and I had trouble refitting the valve due to it being such a tight fit. Can I replace this with (say) a copper washer, does it need to be the same thickness, or is the rubber one an important part of keeping the valve operating at the correct pressure? Any suggestions will be gratefuuly received and faithfully applied. Phil 10509 AU Posted by pdadd 23/04/2014 10:18:39
10 years ago
#915 Quote
Sorry gentlemen, I do realise the PRESSURE is the correct spelling ---- even here in OZ! Obviously the Preview option is there for good purpose. Phil Posted by pdadd 23/04/2014 10:22:14
10 years ago
#916 Quote
Greetings Phil,  Firstly use the "edit" button to correct any mistakes. With respect to your question I purchased a new valve from Red Triangle and they included a standard "O" ring which happens to fit nicely.  Hope this helps.  Richard Posted by RichardWallach 23/04/2014 22:49:25
10 years ago
#917 Quote
Richard, Thanks for your prompt reply. Assuming that you have fitted the valve, can you remember the thickness of the "O" ring and whether the stem of the valve is a neat fit through the centre? The washer fitted to my car has an ID the same as the bottom stem of the valve. I had wondered if this was important.  FYI, one of our Sydney members has produced a two way valve that allows the water to be retrieved from an overflow bottle once the engine has cooled. The original valve appears to work only one way, as an exit point for the overflow thus the coolant cannot be retrieved. Regards, Phil Posted by pdadd 24/04/2014 08:37:01
10 years ago
#918 Quote
Phil,  The O ring is approx. 2.33mm thick and its ID is approx. 16mm, therefore there is a large gap around the around the valve as it (valve) is approx.10.3mm wide. This does not appear to matter as the spring holds the valve in place. The outside diameter of the O ring is the same as the valve. I hope this helps.  Regards  Richard Posted by RichardWallach 24/04/2014 11:40:03
10 years ago
#919 Quote
Phil,  I should have mentioned that for the system to work properly you need to ensure that you have a good seal on the filler cap. Red Triangle also provided these. I have noted that the seal tends to receive quite a bit of wear over time when the cap is unscrewed to check the coolant level.   Regards, Richard Posted by RichardWallach 27/04/2014 02:02:11