Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:06:04 PM

Universal Joints and Rear Axle Pinion seal

10 years ago
#903 Quote
I am about to replace the Universal joints on my TC21. Can anyone provide the part number or size of these? In this way it will be simple matter of removing the tail shaft and completing the job without needing to wait until the parts are identified, sourced and replaced. I am thinking of replacing these with sealed bearings. Any thoughts?  It will also be a good time to replace the differential seal. I understand that it is the same as that used on a Jaguar Mk V, but can anyone provide the seal number and dimensions? Some years ago I replaced this one with a modern double lipped seal, but it leaked after about 1000 miles. Going back to the original seems like a good idea! Thanks. Posted by pdadd 20/02/2014 21:44:03
10 years ago
#904 Quote
Philip,  Re the universals, I bought mine on E-bay as I did not have a part number. Mine came with grease nipples as standard.   Re the pinion seal, I have a Federal Mogul part number - 5778  The dimensions are:  1 9/16 x 3.165 x 19/32  If this seal is past its use by date then the rear axle shaft and hub seals will also likely be worn out.  Rear axle shaft seals, which hold the diff. oil back, are hard to come by. Dimensions are: 1 3/8 x 2.2286 x 1/2   Rear hub (seal only) dimensions are: 2 x 3.005 x 1/2  For the hub seals I have the following part numbers:  Repco 50137 and Pioneer Weston D440/WL336.  I hope this helps.  Regards Richard Posted by RichardWallach 22/02/2014 00:16:03
10 years ago
#905 Quote
Richard, Thanks for the reply. I will follow up the seals with Repco etc as you have suggested. Re the Uni.Joints; Without the part numbers and size, what did you look for on EBay? There are some listed for Jaguar XK models, but are these compatible with the Alvis? Do you know whether the same units are common to TA 21's and TC's? If I had the dimensions I am sure that they will be available from CBC Bearings. Thanks again for your help. Phil Posted by pdadd 22/02/2014 10:02:55
10 years ago
#906 Quote
Phil, Have a look at: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-JAGUAR-XK120-XK140-AC-Alvis-Aston-Martin-UNIVERSAL-JOINTS-Joint-x2-/190975630491?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&amp;hash=item2c7708dc9b">http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-JAGUAR-X ... 2c7708dc9b</a><!-- m -->  This URL is from ebay. To my knowledge they fit all 3 litres, but don't hold me to this. I will get in touch with a local &quot;guru&quot; but it may take a couple of days. Regards Richard Posted by RichardWallach 22/02/2014 22:15:31
10 years ago
#907 Quote
I purchased a pair of good quality UJ's for my 3 litre last year, from an ebay seller who specialized in XK parts.  MEV Spares, Point Cottage, Dale Hill, Ticehurst, E. Sussex, TN5 7DG.  It was not worth shopping around as his price was very reasonable, ca. 16 pounds for a pair of GKN joints, with grease nipples. His service was excellent.  The GKN ref. appears to be 18110 (was U 110 on an older label).  There are some 3 litre UJ's listed on ebay at present, from another seller (Jumblemaster, tel. 07895 052973).  Type in Alvis UJ in the search box, and you should find them easily. Not sure if these are with grease nipples or not. The seller says he accepts calls and gives advice though.  Hope this helps, Giles Lacey Posted by lacey giles 24/02/2014 10:07:22
10 years ago
#908 Quote
Phil,  Following on from Giles I have been given the part number for the yolk if a new one is required.  : N2 -28- 327. Have a look at    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/SPI-2-28-327.html">http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/produ ... 8-327.html</a><!-- m -->  For the universal joint I have been advised of the following:  26.99/81.76 ext  1310 series   Regards   Richard Posted by RichardWallach 24/02/2014 10:14:25
10 years ago
#909 Quote
Richard and Giles, Thank you for all your help. I can now report that the parts have been accessed and fitted. I was able to obtain everything here in OZ, from Cathouse Spares in Rydalmere NSW. I had wanted sealed universal joints, but as these were not available, went with Hardy Spicer units labelled K5-L4R. They also offered me an original single lip leather rear pinion seal, but I opted for the modern double lipped -- Nat Part # NP 5778. This also has a code on the seal itself, S-10050 and I 1-49. These are also available from North Shore Bearings in Waitara NSW.  Following Giles advice I checked the universal yoke and finding signs of wear, fitted this with a Speedie Sleeve # NAK 99155. These parts are common to the XK Jaguar range as well as several other British vehicles fitted with a 2HS Salisbury Differential. Since the fitting I have driven about 500 miles without any signs of oil leaking from the Pinion seal.  While the car was on the hoist, I also replaced the Rear Axle U Bolts. Originally these were 3/8&quot; but with the change to metric I could only buy 12 mm which necessitated drilling the base plate to suit these. I figured that after 60 years some metal fatigue may have occurred and feel quite happy about the upgrade. Thanks again for all your support and advice. Regards, Phil Posted by pdadd 10/04/2014 05:43:27