Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:04:31 PM

alvis TA14 headlamp dip switch wiring query

11 years ago
#739 Quote
I am restoring my TA14 and cannot work out how to rewire the headlights for dual dipping - any help appreciated. Posted by flinders 02/08/2013 14:09:45
11 years ago
#740 Quote
From memory the original set up used single filament bulbs (lamps) in both headlights. On main both headlights were on . Operating the dip switch caused the offside light to go out and the nearsde reflector was pulled down to the left by a solenoid,the bulb did not alter.Presumabley your wiring harness is set up for that. A highly questionable arrangement , now illegal ?,as 2 approaching cars with the same set up only had their  offside sidelights to indicate their width. I altered my father's TA , AKS880 where are you,to both headlights dipping by fitting another dipping reflector in the offside shell and bodging the wiring.The solenoids  used to chatter like crazy because the battery was knackered and as soon as the battery was discharging the solenoids let go and the lights would revert to main,blinding the oncoming traffic, a bit like modern self aligning lights. Hope this helps Posted by Peter Martin 02/08/2013 15:56:48
11 years ago
#741 Quote
[quote="flinders":1cg7bbn0]I am restoring my TA14 and cannot work out how to rewire the headlights for dual dipping - any help appreciated.[/quote:1cg7bbn0]  Mine has a solenoid on both headlights too with single filament bulbs. I plan to convert to dual filament bulbs as part of the restoration. Are you trying to restore the original setup? Do you not have the original wiring diagram? I can easily supply it if you would like to send me your email address? Paul. Posted by pryantcc 02/08/2013 22:37:06
11 years ago
#742 Quote
[quote="pryantcc":3r0z9zgg][quote="flinders":3r0z9zgg]I am restoring my TA14 and cannot work out how to rewire the headlights for dual dipping - any help appreciated.[/quote:3r0z9zgg]  Mine has a solenoid on both headlights too with single filament bulbs. I plan to convert to dual filament bulbs as part of the restoration. Are you trying to restore the original setup? Do you not have the original wiring diagram? I can easily supply it if you would like to send me your email address? Paul.[/quote:3r0z9zgg]  Yes, I want to fit dual filament bulbs and am restoring the car from its original(illegal) setup for dipping. I have the original wiring diagram, thanks, but that does not help me. It appears that I need to have two wires between the headlamp bulbs and must find a way of using the steering wheel mounted dip switch to re-route the current but this is beyond my 'knowledge'. Posted by flinders 03/08/2013 08:37:44
11 years ago
#743 Quote
Mike  This should work Remove the permanent feed to the n/s light & use the feed to the o/s light to power the n/s one as well  ,this is main beam  Use the feed to the redundant solenoid from the dip switch to power both dip filaments . Dipping exiinguishes both main filaments,not one as at present and instead of putting power to the solenoid you power up both the dip filaments when you switch I am assuming the dip switch can cope with at least 8 amps  Good luck, Peter Posted by Peter Martin 03/08/2013 15:14:29
10 years ago
#744 Quote
Whilst on this thread, can anybody advise as to why the dipswitch gets distinctly warm on a long run when using the headlights.  Is it something that I should 'worry' about, or simply leave well alone?  Graham Posted by langford 22/10/2013 16:49:24