Friday, August 16, 2024 4:30:48 AM

TA-14 heating issues or not

11 years ago
#722 Quote
I have minimal experience with the TA-14 and its particular personality.  Is this Alvis type prone to overheating or is it a nice agreeable car with nice manners during the summer heat?  I am sure preventative measures will always pay off as in flusing the radiator, and sludge removed from the engine water galleys.  How does TA-14 engine heating relate to city driving?  Does the radiator, fan, water pump control heating in slow city driving?  How does a TA-14 behave when a Laycock overdrive is added to relax the engine a bit on longer country drives?  Would someone owning a TA-14 fitted with a Laycock OD drop me a note or refer me to someone with some experience.  I live in rural Utah (western mountains of US) so most of my driving will be on 50-65 MPH roads and not much city driving. Regards, Alan Posted by alsfarms 28/12/2012 18:30:34
11 years ago
#723 Quote
I have had my Carbodies Drophead since 1964 and have never had overheating problems in even the most extreme 44C heat. I removed the mechanical fan in 1980 and installed a large Kenlowe electric fan: this is rarely used. It is useful to switch the fan on as you start to climb over a mountain range (such as the Alps in Europe). This means that the engine never gets hot and I find this advisable to relying on a thermostatically controlled system, which only switches the fan on when the engine[b:1o9bvjf6] is[/b:1o9bvjf6] hot. Otherwise the the fan is little used. The car has now done over 270,000 miles from new and is a wonderful touring vehicle. Posted by DavidMJS 03/01/2013 12:03:40
11 years ago
#724 Quote
Hello David, Thanks for taking the time to respond to my inquiry on TA-14's.  At what speed is most of your driving?  Could you share some of your experience with the TA-14 brakes?  You have lots of miles under your belt and should have a reliable opinion regarding the mechanical brakes.  Do you know of anyone with an overdrive fitted to a TA-14? Regards from Utah, Alan Posted by alsfarms 04/01/2013 16:07:14