6 years ago
#569 Quote
Well winter has moved on and the workshop is habitable again so on with the job!  First task was to make the body mounting plates that join the chassis to the bulkhead.  These are often discarded when bodies are removed but are an essential but rare items. I did hear of some but they didn't materialise so a call to the steel stockist was needed for some 3mm plate the originals are bent up but there was no way my weedy equipment could do that so cutting with the trusty jigsaw and welding was the way to go. Some photos and the original mounting holes gave the scale for the drawing.  Finally they needed a kink in just the bottom edge to follow the lines of the chassis.... lots of thought yielded no ideas so I made a template of the angles required and off I went to the local Garage who have a huge vice.  I took my large rubber fence post mallet with me and lining up the lower edge in the vice jaws struck the plate an almighty blow.... it moved exactly right to the template.... I wondered if that was how they were made originally!  Pictures here of it and bolted to the chassis.... Next job was to make a bulkhead template from ply and get the sizes and angles sorted. Posted by FLYJCW 16/04/2018 09:17:01