Saturday, October 5, 2024 6:21:02 PM

Nice surprise

7 years ago
#560 Quote
I get the "pink"a bit later than some I know in the AOC and usually anything for sale I fancy has usually gone.... but not this time!  I spotted an add for five 20" Jelly Mold rims and when I rang they were still available.  A quick chat with owner who kindly sent me some detailed photos and a very agreeable deal was done...... a typical AOC gentleman.  However the wheels were in Devon which is a long way from Clitheroe...... typical I thought but my son and the owner hatched a plan and in no time they were here with me, cleaned and polished and on the car..... a bigger surprise was that 4 of them had tyres on too.  They will do until the body is on and I am ready for the road!  The car looks more like it now and I like the chunky tyres which are 6" rather than the 5" mentioned in the Firefly handbook.  My dilemma is whether to order a 5" or 6" Blockely tyre for the spare rime..... whichever I choose will be chosen for the other 4 when the time is right!   Other news is that the rear brake cables featuring the adjusters I made from scratch are well on their way from the cable makers. Also Speedograph Richfield are on with the re-furb of the speedo and tacho..... it seems they will cost a "gold pig" but they will be like new.   The radiator is at the "menders" to have a full overhaul and the bracket for the bar that goes to the bulkhead replaced.......So the next job is the chrome radiator shroud.... it is very tatty but I obtained one which is identical but does not have the starting handle hole in it, this is distinctive on the Firefly so I will have to make one and silver solder it in as the original is too tatty to remove and add to this one. Another job has been to refurb the steering wheel, I decided that cord binding might look good so I have been experimenting with paracord..... I have tried the 1mm back which is too thin and now 3mm which is too thick..... I bought some sisal cord but didn't really like that either.  I have got good at doing the fancy knotting following a tutorial on the ubiquitous You Tube though.  Might do the springs later! Posted by FLYJCW 01/10/2017 20:13:49
7 years ago
#558 Quote
Isn't it nice when some things just go our way. It's great to watch the project come together.   Thanks for the picture.  Regards,  Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 01/10/2017 21:02:33
7 years ago
#559 Quote
Thanks Richard...... getting colder in my garage now.... I suppose it is warming up in yours! Posted by FLYJCW 03/10/2017 08:27:18
7 years ago
#557 Quote
John,  We are having quite a cool spring,but I suspect when summer comes we will have a good number of days in the high 30's and low 40's. Too hot to be in a black car not air-conditioned. That said that was the norm back in the 70's; then again I was a lot younger and more tolerant.  Cheers,  Richard Posted by RichardWallach 03/10/2017 08:33:45