Saturday, October 5, 2024 6:20:08 PM

"Rocking Horse Droppings"

7 years ago
#552 Quote
I excitedly received the front brake cables back from the cable makers (see photo)and fitted them...... next to do the rears, however they had been cut and only bits were available. I removed the adjusters from the chassis dropped them in brick acid and then into the zinc without giving them much notice. As I was doing the drawings for the cables I spotted how bad the adjusters were, I don't want to risk my life with those I thought.  Oh dear what to do..... I know I will phone Mick our Alvis Vice Chairman in his Alvis "man cave" he is bound to have a bin with loads of adjusters and old cables in!  Oh no! he said they are like "Rocking Horse droppings" I have a car on the ramp at the moment waiting for rear cables!  So what to do?  Well I went on a well known internet auction site and ordered some steel and fed it to the Rocking Horse! Posted by FLYJCW 26/06/2017 10:10:49
7 years ago
#553 Quote
Next stage some lathe work.... its nice for a man of my age to work in inches and thou's again!  The adjuster posts needed the four jaw chuck to turn their threaded spigot. The adjusters were made with proper size drills 5/16 the 1/2inch etc.... I notice subtle tapers on the entry and exit holes... nice proper engineering.  I imagined that I was a worker in a large Alvis factory on banks of lathes turning these out.... very satisfying, although they might not even have known what they were making! so all finished ready for a polish a trip in the Zinc bath and off to the cable makers.... not many bits left to clean and refurb now! Posted by FLYJCW 26/06/2017 10:18:54