Saturday, October 5, 2024 6:29:17 PM

Handbrake slider screws!

7 years ago
#547 Quote
The handbrake slider screws were very corroded and had to be cut off. I didn't even bother checking with Red Triangle as they are easy to turn from high carbon steel. Took all my spare time on Bank Holiday Monday.... it rained and "the wife" was reading..... I took her out for evening meal in compensation! I made the heads a little bigger for better sliding ability, and I trial fitted them and reduced the shoulder until I had a good sliding fit with out excessive play.  1/4 BSF thread and nice new castellated nuts complete the picture.  Then of course into the zinc bath...... they look a bit too flashy but they will be covered in grease eventually and under a leather gator!  These tiny bits are all part of our great cars, you can see design ideas and thought in all of them. Cheers JCW Posted by FLYJCW 31/05/2017 16:31:07
7 years ago
#548 Quote
Here they are in place! Posted by FLYJCW 31/05/2017 16:40:11
7 years ago
#549 Quote
Great job John.  Having the equipment makes the restoration so much more rewarding.   Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 31/05/2017 23:02:03
7 years ago
#550 Quote
Hi Richard... I have known for years that you have to have "the gear" ..... and skills to make progress.....or spend a fortune letting someone else do it.... next I need a large bandsaw to tackle the Ash frames and an English Wheel to roll the panels... this will tax my "pocket money"..... there is always an argument for buying a better car and enjoying a rolling restoration...... But I have a perverse need to start at the bottom...  I once bought a 1972 MG Midget for my son to learn to drive on, it had so many faults mechanical and corrosion, that I soon decided on a ground up restoration.... I only had 3 months to do the job and I was working at the time.  It was completed ready for him to go to University in the Autumn..... We are just re spraying it 25 years later!  Thankfully that pressure doesn't exist with the Alvis but it is tempting to buy something (Alvis) to enjoy driving whilst this is finished..... still I wouldn't be satisfied and would probably have to rebuild that too! Regards John. Posted by FLYJCW 01/06/2017 07:30:20
7 years ago
#551 Quote
I am envious John,  I am in the camp of "others" having to do the significant work as all I have is a carport and under the house a cramped work bench. I am left with the smaller items to restore. Nevertheless it affords much enjoyment.  With your work you know that it is done to a very high standard whereas buying someone else's restored car you really don't know how good a job has been done. Please continue to post updated.  Regards,  Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 01/06/2017 23:09:28