7 years ago
#545 Quote
Carrying on with the brakes saga I next tackled the handbrake, it was a rust welded mess.   However I have fitted a new piece in the chassis so on with making the quadrant piece.  I hacked it out of 4mm steel after making careful drawings and checking the angles and sizes. A quick dip in the zinc bath and it was ready to fit!  Took a full day of my time!  Then the ratchet which fortunately was in good enough nick when cleaned up as was the ratchet pawl. They both show galvanic corrosion patterns I think!  The hand brake sliding mechanism was frozen solid and violence was called to dissemble it, including wrecking the slider screws.  This was a nice little turning job, see pics and then into the zinc bath again.  Sounds easy but it took ages, I was careful to flatten all sliding surfaces and adjust clearances on the special bolts and I now have a very smooth mechanism. The Nickel plating on the hand release lever was tatty so I removed it, zinc plated it polished it and clear lacquered it for now.  I intend getting the car finished and driving and then go back doing cosmetics such as Nickel and Chrome plating as required....... they take ages at the platters and I want to progress for now. The zinc will stop things rusting until then. Posted by FLYJCW 31/05/2017 16:11:39