Saturday, October 5, 2024 6:24:34 PM

Cold in the workshop!

7 years ago
#534 Quote
Its been cold in the workshop here in the UK, less than 7 degrees at best so progress on the Firefly has slowed. I did get on today though and using the lathe for a bit of machining and screw cutting I finished the brake pull rod that goes from the pedal to the shaft that crosses the chassis and connects to the cables that lead to each wheel.  This is now ready for zinc plating, I have set up a simple bath with zinc electrodes but it needs higher temperatures than I can obtain in the workshop at present. I have collected some sheets of ply and some softwood strips to start on the body design. I intend to build model aeroplane type formers and stringers to outline the body shape. When these look satisfactory they will be used as templates for the Ash frames........ except I have been reading  Nick Walkers excellent book "A-Z of British Coach Builders 1919 - 1960 to explore the development of car bodywork in the 1930's. This has posed me some challenges!  Firstly the Firefly chassis is very flexible in twist, i.e. when you jack up a front corner it moves a long way before the rear corner lifts. This twist was it seems a constant challenge for manufacturers before unitary construction became the norm. I could build a space frame of steel tube formers to bolt to the chassis and stiffen it which would form the basis of attaching the panels. BUT..... of course Alvis didn't do that. A wooden frame of course needs flexible mounting to the chassis but the two seater I propose would be easier to build especially if I go for the "no door on the drivers side" type. The more I learn the more problems there are to solve! Posted by FLYJCW 26/11/2016 19:39:49
7 years ago
#535 Quote
John,  Well done. I'm envious of your skills and workmanship but certainly not of your climate.   Regards,  Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 27/11/2016 03:27:21
7 years ago
#536 Quote
Thanks Richard..... my buddy in Sydney keeps sending me weather forecasts and pictures of Jacaranda trees...... Oh well ........this morning it is -3 so I might delay my workshop start a little!  Cheers John Posted by FLYJCW 27/11/2016 09:54:23