Saturday, October 5, 2024 6:22:15 PM

Firefly gearbox finished and installed

8 years ago
#523 Quote
The Firefly Gearbox is back in place after its second rebuild after being flooded by the local river!  Having what I assume is a high magnesium content the case had corroded badly in some places, I cleaned out the holes and then used JB Weld to fill them, I sprayed the lot with Aluma Blast paint from Frost to reduce further future corrosion. I decided to use a piece of plastic as the gearbox sound deadening pad on top, no one seems to know what the original was made of.  I guess it just changes the resonant frequency of the howl of the straight cut gears! My "man hands" were too big to fit the nuts on the studs for the lower  gearbox to bell housing fixing so I enlisted my wife Trish for the job!  She easily fitted the nuts but found difficulty with the spanner head, I ground down a spare one and the job progressed well....... I will have to do some Diy to make up for this I suppose or some washing up!!   JCW Posted by FLYJCW 27/09/2016 16:51:29
8 years ago
#524 Quote
John, For the firefly gearbox sound deadening I have the material but not the two bars.  It is a dense, fine felt like material and measures 12cm. fore-aft, 10cm side-side and 1 cm thick.  It weighs 117gm.  If you have not yet screwed down the bars, I'd be grateful fit you could give me their weight since this may impact the damping behaviour. regards, Tim Edmunds Posted by tedmunds 27/09/2016 17:57:21
8 years ago
#525 Quote
Hi Tim..... wouldn't you know it, you have the stuff..... unfortunately it is all reassembled with a piece of 10cm plastic window cill. This is a hard skin plastic sheet with a hard foam like interior.  The bars (straps) are 1/8 mild steel you can see them in the photo.  The bolts are lightly riveted on the inside before you put the top on the gear box.  As this is going to be a "special" I am not really worried about the noise!! Regards John Posted by FLYJCW 27/09/2016 19:39:47