Saturday, October 5, 2024 6:24:46 PM

Gearbox sound deadening

8 years ago
#505 Quote
My restoration of Firefly JY 1093 continues apace, the gear box has been the focus of my attention this month.  The interior was in good condition despite water having got in somehow so emulsified "salad cream" needed cleaning out.  specks of rust in some places had locked up the sliding main shaft but careful cleaning has sorted that and it changes gear with finger pressure.  The huge straight cut gears (like grannies mangle....clothes wringer) are pristine. No broken teeth or furry edges, remarkable for 83 years!  I intend to reassemble it with Hylomar rather than paper gaskets..... I think Alvis would have used it if it had been invented??  The only query so far is the sound deadening block bolted on the top of the gearbox..... it seems to be some sort of fibre.... like chipboard or something.  [b:1s5vn1nb]Does anybody know what it is or what else I could use[/b:1s5vn1nb] as it is bolted through the gearbox lid so I cannot finish the job until I solve this problem.  The gear box case itself has some heavy pitting, very typical of magnesium based alloys.  I intend to carefully grind the corrosion out of the holes, fill them with JB weld and then spray the whole gearbox with Eastwood Aluma blast paint to protect it and smarten it up..... Merry christmas to those who read this ...JCW Posted by FLYJCW 17/12/2015 21:53:52
8 years ago
#506 Quote
Good work!  Nice job!  Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to ALL! Posted by johnlayzell 18/12/2015 17:53:20