Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:12:41 PM

Speed 20 SB bonnet hinge

5 years ago
#457 Quote
Dear All,   Please could I have some technical assistance or a recommendation to help repair a bonnet hinge?  The hinge between the top panel and side panel on the near side has come away from its mounting onto the top panel.  It looks like friction was originally used, possibly backed up by short fat screws, however I am currently unable to source any screws and do not wish to try compressing the hinge onto the panel for fear of damaging the paintwork. The centreline bonnet hinge and all off side bonnet parts are fine.[attachment=1:31ty1rl6]<!-- ia1 -->Panel50kb.png<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment:31ty1rl6]  I would like to know: 1) Original fixing method 2) Source of screws 3) If there are any reliable people in driving distance of Bath / Bristol who could give any first-hand advice  Ideally I would like to get hold of screws and complete the re-mounting of the panel myself, so any advice will be gratefully received.  Many thanks,  James Posted by JamesC 07/05/2019 18:20:04
5 years ago
#458 Quote
James,  Welcome to the BB.  It looks like it is brazed on, is that the case?  If it is then unfortunately the torch may mean that you have to repaint the panel if sprayed with 2 pack. If that is the case it would be worth checking the integrity of the weld on the other hinges.  Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 09/05/2019 00:02:07
5 years ago
#459 Quote
The bonnet hinges are difficult to replace. Hinges are fitted alternately to the top and side panels, slotted into a fold at the edge of the panel. They are retained essentially by one set being &quot;in opposition&quot; to the other, with longitudinal location by the fold being crimped tight in the empty section at each end. I've reassembled them by putting the hinges on each of the panels precisely in position, then mating the panels stood on their rear ends and very carefully inserting the hinge pin. The living room carpet is a good place to do this. A slave pin six inches or so long is necessary to align the far end, removed as the main pin gets about three quarters of the way along. The pins need to be generously chamfered at the end. If the pin in place is original then it is likely to be very hard to remove - the cheapskates at Alvis used ordinary steel for the hinge pins and they invariably rust and seize in one set of hinges whilst the other wears a series of steps on the pin. Use stainless or brass for the new pins. There are no screws and no brazing - all the Speed model bonnets I have seen are aluminium so the steel hinges cannot be brazed on. Hamfisted manipulation of the bonnet plus seized or partially seized hinges will cause the folds in the soft aluminium to open up and the hinges to come loose. Perhaps there is an easy way to do it - if so I'd be glad to hear of it as I've never yet succeeded in reassembling a bonnet without some degree of paintwork damage. Patience and extreme unhurried care are essential. Posted by DeaneHarding 09/05/2019 21:01:07