Saturday, October 5, 2024 6:31:14 PM

Speed 25 Front Brake cable removal... Whats the trick ?

6 years ago
#404 Quote
Can anybody help with advice on how to remove and replace the offside front brake cable on a Speed 25.  The nearside one comes off easily, with the clevis at the rear end of the cable passing nicely through the hole in the chassis.The offside one seems impossible because it passes between two vertical tubes  inside the chassis rail which support the steering box.  There isn't anywhere near enough clearance to get the clevis past these tubes and they seem to be an integral part of the chassis.  There must be a way but I cant work it out ! Posted by NeilWillatt 20/11/2017 16:43:14
6 years ago
#405 Quote
From Peter Miller the Alvis Car Club of Victoria's Speed Model Technical Officer - "Yes, completely remove the steering box securing bolt behind which the brake cable passes, and slacken the nut on the other one. This will allow the top and bottom flanges of the chassis rail to spring apart slightly and the vertical tube preventing the brake cable from being removed will then slide out. Easy!" Posted by alvisvoyeur 24/11/2017 08:12:20
6 years ago
#406 Quote
Many Thanks Peter,  I have already attempted this, but the tube didn't seem to want to move and I didn't like to resort to brute force.  Now I know it is supposed to move I will be a bit more robust in my approach! Posted by NeilWillatt 24/11/2017 14:39:19