Saturday, October 5, 2024 9:57:35 PM

speed 20 SB water pump

12 years ago
#178 Quote
Please can any one advise on the material used for the packing in the early water pump and where to obtain this. I have been told Crane seal or Payens Packing. Looking on the John Crane website there is a 1/4 inch section braided material but Im not sure if this is suitable for rotating parts or intended for valve packing.  many thanks Posted by speed20 03/09/2012 09:43:13
12 years ago
#179 Quote
Yesterday I received some water pump packing in the post but with no note from the sender. Many thanks to who ever this was . If you would like to contact me by email  <!-- e --><a href="mailto:John.worrell@yahoo.co.uk">John.worrell@yahoo.co.uk</a><!-- e --> I will be please to reimburse you. Kind regards Posted by speed20 18/09/2012 08:20:25
12 years ago
#180 Quote
It turns out that it was a pal of mine from the Riley club and I have now rebuilt the pump having first had the shaft welded up and turned down again to a smooth finish . The material used was Fliolion Filament L  1/4 inch section . This is the modern replacement for the graphite impregnated packing I am more familiar with and you can still obtain this but not of course with any asbestos base. You can obtain the new material from James Walker Ltd   <!-- e --><a href="mailto:Sales.uk@jameswalker.biz">Sales.uk@jameswalker.biz</a><!-- e -->  tel 0845 520 8800 web site is <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.jameswalker.biz">http://www.jameswalker.biz</a><!-- m --> Posted by speed20 03/10/2012 19:08:14
11 years ago
#181 Quote
For those with Silver Eagle, SA &amp; SB Speed Twenties who have grown irritated with the leaking, packings and adjustment required on these pumps, it is possible to alter and fit them with thinwall ceramic seal kits.  This requires machining-out the threads of the adjustment area on each side of the pump and so destroys the originality of the body. However, high mileage experience of this conversion is wonderful and does away with the wearing-out of the pump shaft caused by the corrosion and pressure of the old-style packings.  It also enables the cooling system to be restored to its correct operating pressure (assuming the radiator and pressure valve is in order). This pressure raises the boiling-point of the coolant so that the engine runs at the correct operating temperature for longer and does not disgorge it's coolant when hot at stops, particularly when facing downhill! Posted by Nickalvis 02/11/2012 20:50:46
11 years ago
#182 Quote
Hi Nick, do you know who stocks these ceramic seals?  many thanks Dave Mulvany Posted by dmulvany 05/11/2012 21:21:24
11 years ago
#183 Quote
Dear All,  I am a bit confused here.....  I have a Speed 20 SD but the cooling system is NOT PRESSURISED. Are the comments abou pressurisation applicable only to the Silver Eagle?  The Speed 20 engine does not even have a thermostat. On my car, temperature control, around 70 degrees, is attained by manual control of an electric fan behind the radiator. So far,since removal of the (very noisy) mechanical fan, I have only had to stop once, on a very hot day last summer in slow-moving traffic when the temperature rose above 90 deg. I am now fitting the second fan on the other side of the radiator &quot;V&quot;.  Steve Laurence,  DYE 166 Posted by g7psz 06/12/2012 10:48:50