Saturday, October 5, 2024 9:54:17 PM

friction dampers

12 years ago
#54 Quote
I have just completed rebuilding the Andre Hartford dampers on the SG 16.95 ,the brass friction plates have been spot welded to the arms and the center locating rings reswaged back ,as are the mounting eyes .Now the question ; the bushes for the eyes when pushed out were rubber with a steel tube therein ,the tube ends are concave bevelled at the ends to stop them rotating and the books say to leave them loose until the vehicle is at its normal loaded weight then tighten .I purchased damper arm bushes from the Andre Hartford people in Australia two years ago and they are what I always referred to as "Metalastic "bushes with both inner and outer steel sleeves ,the outer diameter of which is just too large to press into the eyes (by about 1/64" )are the original type with only a center steel bush still available ,or do I reduce the outer diam. of the ones I have ? Alan Posted by ajw 23/06/2012 21:49:55
12 years ago
#55 Quote
Alan, Vintage and Classic Shock Absorbers of Croydon can supply everything you need, including the rubber bushes and tubes. Getting the steel tubes into the bushes is a bit of a job. I turned up a mandrel (if that's the right word) with a rounded nose to push into the bush first with the tube following behind.  You need a large vice to do it, plus odd spacers, washers, etc., and lots of lubricant. I can lend you the mandrel if you decide to have a go.  Otherwise let V&C Shock Absorbers do it for you. Rgds, Dudley Posted by Dudley Smith 03/07/2012 18:30:22
12 years ago
#56 Quote
Alan, Just discovered that you are in New Zealand!  Rather a long way from Croydon. Nevertheless I am sure that the bits you need can be sent. Rgds, Dudley Posted by Dudley Smith 03/07/2012 18:39:08
12 years ago
#57 Quote
Hi Dudley,    Thanks for the details ,however I have had the external diameter of the steel sleeves turned down to fit the eyes and will see how I go from there .But please give me the details of that damper distributor it would be a handy reference for us down under . Posted by ajw 05/07/2012 21:46:44