Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:13:43 PM

Clutch problem

4 years ago
#2645 Quote
I just went to get out my 1953 TA21 Tickford convertible after its winter break. I had run the car over the period and taken it out of the garage - although not going far as there may have been salt about. However, this morning, the car started perfectly but when I came to engage gear, it became apparent that the clutch is not working, rendering it impossible to engage gear. The pedal feels as normal - plenty of resistance to pressure. On reading through the forums, mention is made of a variety of remedies - some more brutal than others! Would anyone please be able to enlighten me as to what they might be? Many thanks.
4 years ago
#2646 Quote
David. The problem will probably be that the clutch driven plate will have stuck to the flywheel.
The first method I would try, if you have a working starting handle, is to have someone sit in the car with the ignition off, fourth gear selected, and clutch and brake pedals depressed. try turning the engine on the handle. if the engine turns without the car trying to move clutch has come free. I have also seen it free off if you have enough people to rock the car back and forth in gear with someone sitting in it with the clutch pedal depressed.
There are more drastic measures using the starter and engine but you would need to understand the safety aspect before going this far.
4 years ago
#2649 Quote
Thanks for your response Peter. I do have a starting handle, but it does not seem to engage when I slot it in? There are lugs on the end of the handle, but I cannot see the condition of the receiving part of the crankshaft. Thanks for the tip about rocking the car back and forth - i shall have to see if I can safely assemble some 'rockers' in these virus laden times!
4 years ago
#2650 Quote
David. The problem with the starting handle is the radiator, the front bumper plate and the engine need to be in alignment. It is worth shining a light on the crankshaft pulley and look in through the starting handle plate. you will then see if the holes line up.
If the handle or rocking does not work contact me via email at peter.j.milne@btinternet.com
as I would rather talk you through some tricks on the phone taking all the safety aspects into account.