Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:04:12 PM

Doors...

10 years ago
#2481 Quote
I've now got my TD21 DHC (project) home and whilst I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, I would like to be able to open and shut the doors.  The integrity of the 'A' pillars (hinge pillars) are both good but I can't open the drivers door by more than a few inches and the passenger door drops over an nice when I open it.  I'm a very capable person when it comes to most things mechanical, but I would feel happier knowing a little more of what I'm likely to find or any common problems.  Unlike my other two TD21 DHCs, with steel skinned doors, the car I'm working on has alloy skinned doors.  Thanks in anticipation,  Mark. Posted by Mark T Boldry 30/11/2013 20:51:48
10 years ago
#2482 Quote
I think I've answered my own question….  The top hinge on the drivers side is seized and has pulled out of what I thought was a good A pillar.  It turns out that the A pillar need work / replacement which in turn will both relocate the door correctly and allow the door to open and close.  I'll post some pictures on the Club Facebook pages later.  Mark. Posted by Mark T Boldry 01/12/2013 00:45:34
10 years ago
#2483 Quote
Mark S1 TD doors were dropping as they left the factory and were a big problem,see JP Williams book ,Alvis the Postwar Cars,where there is a chapter devoted to problems at Park Ward. The fix in the S11 onwards was a resin bonded A post and a lighter door with ally frame and  skin to replace solid A post &the wooden frame and steel skin of the door.Some steel door cars were modded  to ally by PW under warranty so the door skin should fit the aperture and others have had s/h  ally doors fitted by owners,these tend not to fit the very well,every car is different.On a good onmolested car the shuts are an even 2mm all round  &it is vital to keep the hinge pins lubricated as they seem to very soft and wear quickly Posted by Peter Martin 02/12/2013 19:18:15
10 years ago
#2484 Quote
I see the J P Williams 'Alvis - The Postwar Cars'  book is out of print and second hand appears prompt sellers to ask 'silly' prices.  I'm more than happy to buy a copy if any member has one to sell and at a 'fair' price…  Please let me know.. :-)  Mark. Posted by Mark T Boldry 03/12/2013 21:08:39