Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:10:21 PM

1961 TD21 Series 1Auto Gear Box Query

11 years ago
#2438 Quote
Hi Alan  I have a TD21 auto, and mine doesn't have this. I'm sure it's not orginal. If other AOC members who are far more tchnically minded than me cannot help, you could contact Whitehouse Autos (they advertise in the Bulletin, <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gwautos.com">www.gwautos.com</a><!-- w --> ), who are experts in the BW DG box.  Good luck!  Philip Posted by Philip 23/01/2013 18:37:57
11 years ago
#2439 Quote
Alan  Definately not original. Suggest you drive with switch connected and then disconnected and ascertain the difference.  Have you tested the switch? Is it live? Posted by Angus D'Arcy-Drake 24/01/2013 10:41:42
11 years ago
#2440 Quote
Definitely not original.  it appears to be an improvised electrical `kick-down´ to replace the mechanical kick-down which would normally be operated from a linkage (push-rod / bell-crank / sprung connector rod) by the rear carburettor.  The mechanical kick-down operates at wide-open throttle settimng, and over-rides the hand-setting of the intermediate-hold control forcing the box straight into Intermediate, until the throttle is released when the box goes back into top.  Check if the switch is operated (and closed) at wide throttle opening. If this is the case then it is almost certainly a home-made kick-down.  This should energize the solenoid, which should then activate the small ´Intermediate-hold´ lever at the back of the gearbox. This would change from top to intermediate range, and back to top when the throttle was released / closed, in theory.  If there is a solenoid (with push - pull rod) for kick-down this may also be improvised. I don't know if B-W supplied these as standard, but I think it is unlikely they were ever on a TD21.  Originally there is a long, spring-tensioned rod with a ball joint attached to the small gearbox intermediate-hold lever and to a small bell-crank linkage by the rear carb / manifold.  Could be the manual Intermediate-hold setting cable is disconnected or totally missing, and the improvised solenoid is the only means of putting the box into intermediate above 30 mph.  Best way to find out is as already suggested: Try it out! Energize the solenoid before the throttle reaches the switch (just join the wires together to bypass the switch) and see if the box stays in intermediate. Then Disconnect the switch totally and see if the box goes straight into top at approx. 30 mph.  Hope this helps, Giles Lacey Posted by lacey giles 24/01/2013 18:37:32
11 years ago
#2441 Quote
It could be a (not standard Alvis) replacement B-W box, sourced from a car that originally had electric kick-down. It may be worth having a look at period Rover or Triumph, or other B-W boxes for example to see if these have the solenoid fitted, then at least you'll know where it came from. But if it works, that should be fine. No stress on the rear carburettor-spindle on kick-down has to be a good thing.  GL Posted by lacey giles 25/01/2013 09:09:52