Saturday, October 5, 2024 10:43:06 PM

Borg W DG 150 auto engine braking

11 years ago
#2436 Quote
I found much info on Studebaker and Humber websites the TD road test and a recent Practical Classics item. I appreciate that Top gear is solid drive by clutch. But i still do not understand :when making a long descent how would you get from top into middle gear for engine  braking and how slow do you have to be going to do it?  (I like my Grey Lady's gearchange (mostly) but am pondering a cure for stiffening local traffic and left ankle ,,,)   Vic Round Posted by Victor Felix Round 20/01/2013 09:58:45
11 years ago
#2437 Quote
Engine braking is normal down to fairly slow speeds (approx. 15 - 20 mph) whenever D is selected. But then at slow speeds in D, engine braking simply drops out.  For continued engine braking, L must then be selected. Theoretically L may be selected from D at up to 30mph. but I would not recommend trying to change down at 30mph, the transmission will definitely complain. The slower the car is travelling the better when L is selected, especially on a steep descent. Also, a risk of locking-up the rear wheels if on loose surface. I use L for some steep descents locally (Peak District), changing down at approx. 10mph or less. One gets to learn a fairly different driving style with the B-W, sometimes requiring plenty confidence in the braking system.  There is fairly detailed info. in the TD21-S1 manual, which I found very useful (I could mail you relevant pages if that would help).  Giles Lacey Posted by lacey giles 21/01/2013 16:53:18