Saturday, October 5, 2024 10:42:19 PM

Tyres/pressed steel wheels

11 years ago
#2419 Quote
Is it necessary to fit inner tubes to standard pressed steel wheels on a 3 litre or can I go tubeless? Posted by tf1695 23/10/2012 11:39:20
11 years ago
#2420 Quote
I had been using tubes until 2006 when having fitted new radials, started getting punctures --- to find that the tyre people had left the labels inside the tyres and these cut through the tubes! After consultation with the suppliers we decided that the rims were good enough to go tubeless. In the 6 years since then i have travelled about 30000 mls, on some bad gravel roads and have had no problems. The car is fitted with Kumho 185/80 R15's, rear at 36psi and the front currently at 40 psi. The 185/80 is considerably wider than the original cross ply tyre and without power assisted steering, I find the steering in parking situations, just too heavy! Maybe I am getting feeble in my older age? This pressure is probably too high but feels quite comfortable at cruising speeds around 60 to 70 miles per hour. At this pressure the ride is a little harsh on some roads, but at least I am able to park the car in parking stations. Hope this helps! Posted by pdadd 26/10/2012 21:48:31
11 years ago
#2421 Quote
Probabley be ok,provided your wheel inner rims are true, clean ,smooth and rust free  & make sure the valve is the correct size.  I prefer to fit tubes irrespective of the tyre spec. & if you keep a spare tube in the car you may be able to revive a punctured tubeless that a tyre shop cannot/will not repair.If you have an independent fitter use him rather than a national chain as they seem unable to cope with anything unusual. If you fit  tubes there should be a protective collar for the valve stem.Good luck Posted by Peter Martin 28/10/2012 09:29:03