Saturday, October 5, 2024 10:48:13 PM

Rebound rubbers - front suspension

12 years ago
#2403 Quote
I was intrigued to note that Alvis changed the front suspension rebound rubbers. Those for a TD21 are C5964 and for a TE21 C10427. However, Red Triangle cannot supply a C10427; "This part has also changed part number and you would need to trim the rubber down to fit your vehicle." Can anyone explain what's going on here? Posted by vaningen 17/07/2012 19:10:23
12 years ago
#2404 Quote
I too am interested in the dimensions of the 3 litre rebound rubber C5964. On my car the wishbones have always applied slight pressure on the rebound rubbers. During some front suspension work, I bought new ones (C5964) from Chris Prince mainly to be able to compare new v. old (but probably not original) dimensions. The new items are very good quality, with identical dimensions to the old ones. But it did not resolve the question why the wishbone has contact to the rubber.  During the suspension work I found aluminium spacer-rings approx. 5/8" high fitted under the springs. This would increase the tension and raise the wishbones very slightly. Chris Prince said he had found a few cars with spring-spacers, and he showed me some from cars he had dismantled. Perhaps it was a works option for stiffer front springing. The spacer-rings are not `home-made´ but are properly designed (castings?) with recesses to accomodate the heads of the lower shock absorber studs in the lower wishbone.  I could not see a reference to spring spacers in a TD21 (S1) parts book, perhaps they are mentioned in a TE or TF parts list? It would be a logical step to use slightly lower rebound rubbers (e.g. C10427?) in case spring-spacers are fitted, but I have not had the courage to try cutting the rebound buffers down, after seeing how much the rebound rubbers are compressed when the cars's weight is taken off the front suspension.  So any further documentation about use of spring spacers (an option, on which models, which rebound rubber?) and the dimensions of cut-down rebound rubbers (C10427?) would be welcomed. Posted by lacey giles 13/08/2012 08:54:54
12 years ago
#2405 Quote
1) RT supplied spacers for me to fit to my TD in the 1970s. This was seen as cheaper/simpler way of compensating for settling coil springs than replacing them. In those days, they would lend you a spring compressor to do the job. The TE parts manual mentions "C9334 ... seat packing (if required) bottom".  2) On replacing the rebound rubber on my TE, I found that the n/s tower and tower mounting had corroded. This is difficult to clean up and repair by welding and I'll be interested to hear what the MOT man makes of it next week. I know of another club member who has experienced the same problem with his TE - again on the n/s. Might be worth having a look next time you have the front wheels off; or ignorance is bliss. Posted by vaningen 15/08/2012 23:19:05