Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:12:32 PM

Cars for sale on the AOC website and in the pink'un

11 years ago
#2209 Quote
This month (February), the AOC website/pink'un has one car for sale. Other classic car websites have several (one has over 90), and the auction houses also seem to be have several Alvis up for auction, many of which do not sell. What's your view as to why members do not advertise their cars to the AOC membership rather than through generic classic car websites or the auction houses? Surely the AOC membership is a prime target for anyone selling their Alvis (although the generic websites have greater reach)? Posted by Philip 27/02/2013 18:26:27
11 years ago
#2210 Quote
The main reason why people choose the websites is; You can decide to offer your car for sale and in less that 30 minutes you can be offering it to the whole wide world!! Simple as that. Posted by Mike Wheadon 27/02/2013 18:44:49
11 years ago
#2211 Quote
[quote="Mike Wheadon":3n5l5piv]The main reason why people choose the websites is; You can decide to offer your car for sale and in less that 30 minutes you can be offering it to the whole wide world!! Simple as that.[/quote:3n5l5piv]  I agree, the worldwide audience is far wider. Also, I wonder how many of the 90 cars for sale belong to AOC members? Posted by pryantcc 01/03/2013 13:10:02
11 years ago
#2212 Quote
OK....so....wouldn't the AOC site be more targeted (i.e. at people already interested in Alvis cars), why not do both AOC site (as it's free) as well as Ebay ad the classic car sites, and why put cars up for auction rather than advertise through the AOC? Posted by Philip 03/03/2013 15:45:35
11 years ago
#2213 Quote
[quote="Philip":egjd9vb8]OK....so....wouldn't the AOC site be more targeted (i.e. at people already interested in Alvis cars), why not do both AOC site (as it's free) as well as Ebay ad the classic car sites, and why put cars up for auction rather than advertise through the AOC?[/quote:egjd9vb8]  Looking at the AOC home page, it isn't immediately obvious that it is possible to sell your car on the site.  If a user did know there was an Alvis owner's club, and knew that they had a website, found that website, and could then find the link to "Alvis cars for sale", the instructions that greet them are not very welcoming: "If you are interested in any of the cars for sale, then MEMBERS ONLY can contact the Webmaster quoting their membership number and the reference. The WM will then pass on their telephone number etc. to the advertiser. Telephone numbers and contact details for advertisers must remain confidential within the Club, and will not be published on the website unless this is specifically requested in writing."  It is also not possible to put up your own advert as it is on Ebay and Autotrader. You need to submit something to the webmaster who, from the earlier text on the page sounds like a force to be reckoned with. Personally, the whole thing, if I was able to find it, would put me off.  Its easier just to post an advert on one of the other sites with no interaction required. Submit your ad, and it's there, right away for all the world to see. I'd be surprised if there's anybody who looks for a car to buy on the AOC site and doesn't check Ebay and autotrader too. Posted by pryantcc 04/03/2013 13:03:33