Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:04:30 PM

Questions from the USA

11 years ago
#2192 Quote
Hello, I am from the mountain west area of the US and am a member of the Alvisoc.  My Alvis project is a 1948 Alvis TA-14 Carbodies DHC.  I find myself with minimal understanding of some terms that involve Alvis and also all other British cars.  I am sure that you fellows, from the other side of the pond, know these terms first hand, please help me out with a basic description.  I will list my questions: 1- My wife asked me what the "TA" in TA-14 stands for? 2- We, in the USA, have to deal with a few odd HP terms such as ALAM, SAE, BRAKE, TEST and etc, please tell me what is meant by the term "12-50"? 3- I am guessing that the 14 in TA-14 equates to the 12 in 12-50, is that assumption correct? 4- We deal with an annual vehicle inspection also, please describe what MOT means and what is involved with your inspection? 5- I see talk of "log books" how does a log book relate to a vehicle and the MOT? 6- Is a log book a legal requirement of a voluntary document? 7- What is your process for making legal an old car with no log book and has not had one of your MOT for years? 8- What is your vehicle "Title" process like for conveying ownership of either a complete car or pile of parts, to be used to build a car? Thanks in advance for your patience in reading and providing me with basic information so I do not feel like a dumb bell as I interact on this forum. I am a member of several other single marque clubs, all of which use this similar forum type and I have found that it is a very good source for interacting with other members. Regards, Alan Dewsnup Posted by alsfarms 31/12/2012 15:36:24
11 years ago
#2193 Quote
Hello Alan. I'm Irish, and am also restoring a TA-14. but can answer some of your questions. I'm sure there are guys around who know the answers to the ones which I don't!  [quote="alsfarms":3g58k30r] 1- My wife asked me what the "TA" in TA-14 stands for? [/quote:3g58k30r]I'm sure I've read an explanation somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember what it was.  [quote="alsfarms":3g58k30r] 2- We, in the USA, have to deal with a few odd HP terms such as ALAM, SAE, BRAKE, TEST and etc, please tell me what is meant by the term "12-50"? [/quote:3g58k30r]The 12 is horsepower, not sure about the 50.  [quote="alsfarms":3g58k30r] 3- I am guessing that the 14 in TA-14 equates to the 12 in 12-50, is that assumption correct? [/quote:3g58k30r]Yep!  [quote="alsfarms":3g58k30r] 4- We deal with an annual vehicle inspection also, please describe what MOT means and what is involved with your inspection? [/quote:3g58k30r]MOT is Ministry of Transport. The roadworthiness test is known as the MOT test. It's quite involved, but not as rigorous as the test in some countries (like Ireland). Safety things like lights, brakes, tyres, corrosion in structural areas.  [quote="alsfarms":3g58k30r] 5- I see talk of "log books" how does a log book relate to a vehicle and the MOT? [/quote:3g58k30r]The "log book" is the vehicle registration document. In the old days, it was a beige (buff) coloured piece of card folded up. When you paid your annual road tax, the book was stamped by the local authority. It also listed the changes of ownership. It has been replaced by a form called the V5C now which only lists vehicle particulars and owner details.  [quote="alsfarms":3g58k30r] 6- Is a log book a legal requirement of a voluntary document? [/quote:3g58k30r]It was, and the V5C is, a legal requirement. Proof of ownership really.  [quote="alsfarms":3g58k30r] 7- What is your process for making legal an old car with no log book and has not had one of your MOT for years? [/quote:3g58k30r] I'm not sure in the UK. I expect that you'd need to have it inspected to prove its identity, then the last registered keeper contacted, or something like that. I think that once you can prove you own the car, you can get a replacement document without too much trouble.  [quote="alsfarms":3g58k30r] 8- What is your vehicle "Title" process like for conveying ownership of either a complete car or pile of parts, to be used to build a car? [/quote:3g58k30r]There's a part of the V5C form which gets filled out with the new owner's details. The old owner sends this off to the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority) who issue a new V5C with the new owner's credentials.  [quote="alsfarms":3g58k30r] Thanks in advance for your patience in reading and providing me with basic information so I do not feel like a dumb bell as I interact on this forum. I am a member of several other single marque clubs, all of which use this similar forum type and I have found that it is a very good source for interacting with other members. Regards, Alan Dewsnup[/quote:3g58k30r] You're most welcome Alan. As an international member myself, I also find the forum invaluable as a source of information and as a means to interact with other Alvis owners! Posted by pryantcc 11/01/2013 22:54:57
11 years ago
#2194 Quote
Hello Again and thanks for your responses to a fellow Alvis guy from the west side of the pond.  I would like to be able to tell my wife what the "TA" stands for in TA-14.  Also, interested in what the 70 stands for in "12-70".  I could guess that the 12 stands for engine size or some form of taxable HP and the 70 could mean actual or test HP?  In the US, only a few early cars had this same type of nomenclature.  If you don't mind me asking, are you from England?  I have another question you may be able to answer for me regarding the TA-14.  Where on the chassis, will I find any ID numbers that will relate to the year.  Does a TA-14 DHC have the same chassis design as a Mulliner chassis?  My Mulliner parts car has a much better chassis than does my DHC.  I am considering making a swap, but will only do so if it is not a big headache as to numbers. Al Posted by alsfarms 16/01/2013 02:20:13
11 years ago
#2195 Quote
Hi Al, I'm from Ireland. The chassis number is stamped onto the tubular cross-member at the front of the TA-14. There is a steel pipe welded between the two chassis rails below, and just in front of the radiator. I think that, on my car, the number was on the right as you face the front of the car. There's no plate, or anything, just the number stamped onto the chassis member. There is a plate attached to the body of my car showing the same number.  The chassis should be the same on every car regardless of the body-work that is attached to it. Posted by pryantcc 16/01/2013 17:58:53
11 years ago
#2196 Quote
Thanks for the note.  We have a foot of snow, so I will not be looking into the frame numbers until it warms up a bit.  Do you plan to run "beauty rings" on your wheels?  I bought a set for my DHC, and I like them, but only see a few cars with them on. Regards, Alan Posted by alsfarms 18/01/2013 02:27:55