Saturday, October 5, 2024 10:51:14 PM

Clutch plate required!

8 years ago
#1712 Quote
My Firefly clutch disc is in very poor condition, the linings and other parts are useable but this piece N11846/7 the "clutch plate fitted with flexible centre" is pretty ratty. It has markings I haven't seen before, a man on a horse with the words Horseman Bram...... I can't read the rest, anyone any ideas on the origin.  Red Triangle haven't got one and can't find the drawing!  The alternatives are to draw it out and get one made, or replace the whole lot with a more modern clutch, or stick it back in and see what happens.... any one any ideas of how to proceed please.  John Posted by FLYJCW 10/09/2016 17:04:47
8 years ago
#1713 Quote
John,  What is the diameter of the plate?  Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 10/09/2016 20:54:03
8 years ago
#1714 Quote
Hi Richard..... the disc is just over 10 1/2 inches.... i.e. 10 5/8, probably classed as 10 1/2 though.... you got any ideas?  Regards John Posted by FLYJCW 11/09/2016 16:58:54
8 years ago
#1715 Quote
John,  That's a big plate for  a four cylinder motor and it does change what I had in mind. That said my thoughts are on a replacement, perhaps a clutch from a 12/70 or TA14 as they are the same. The reason why I suggest this as an option is that you can probably borrow the bits to see if it is feasible.  The Borg and Beck clutch catalogue lists it as a 9A-G. The cover assembly is 45692/14 and the driven plate is 47626/76  There is a firm here that stocks a lot of vintage car parts so if you can me all the details that you have and as many imagers as you can to - <!-- e --><a href="mailto:richardwallach@hotmail.com">richardwallach@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->   I will give then go and see them.  I hope this helps.   Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 12/09/2016 00:45:09
8 years ago
#1716 Quote
Hi Richard thanks for your interest!  The clutch is unlike any that I have seen!  The flywheel is a light weight steel disc with the starter ring on it and then the clutch body, top left of the view of three pieces bolts to it with many long bolts. That piece has a lining on it and is very thick and heavy material, I suppose making up the weight of the flywheel. The plate I require has no lining on it just a smooth steel surface (should be).  Then the pressure plate which has a lining on one side and the springs on the other, all capped off with the aluminium cover which house the release fingers and a release slider which contacts the carbon thrust race in the bell housing, right of picture.  It really is a thing of purpose, there is no bearing surface on the fly wheel that would take a normal set up the fly wheel is very thin.  I had thought of taking the lining off the clutch body and the pressure plate surfacing them up to allow the use of a modern conventional clutch plate with lining on it. I would have to cut out its centre and fix somehow the old piece with the splines to it.  Regards John Posted by FLYJCW 12/09/2016 11:25:18
8 years ago
#1717 Quote
John,  I'm trying to establish whether the clutch is an original copy of the Alvis one or whether someone has adapted a different type to suit. Can you advise?  Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 13/09/2016 11:36:24
8 years ago
#1718 Quote
Hi Richard this is original Alvis ..... Made up of Clutch Body N11768, Clutch ring N11770, Withdrawl N11558,  Plate N11846/7. Mine is a very early car 9914 ......most had preselector gearboxes only a few had this setup with the 4 speed non synchro gearbox. All parts have Alvis part numbers and &quot;fit&quot; with the engine and gearbox numbers...... its just that Red Triangle have only been able to find some of the drawings unfortunately the Clutch plate one is missing, BUT it has a makers name alongside the Alvis part number, no sign in Google searches though! Regards John Posted by FLYJCW 13/09/2016 16:32:15
8 years ago
#1719 Quote
Correction finally had some joy.....<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1797116">http://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1797116</a><!-- m -->   Try this link!  Here is the quote from who made the clutch!  Look at the end of item 4..... clutch plates!  Where to go from here then!  Looks like the catalogue is in Australia!!  JCW Posted by FLYJCW 13/09/2016 16:39:42
8 years ago
#1720 Quote
John,  Most interesting. If possible can you post an image of the plate with as many dimensions inserted on it as you can. I will then use it to see if I can locate one here.   Richard Posted by RichardWallach 14/09/2016 04:12:48
8 years ago
#1721 Quote
Thanks Richard...... I am re assembling it in the mean time to test it as is!  Needed part of an axle stand to allow me tp compress the springs and get it all back in place, a bit of a brain teaser in terms of adjustment but I got it together.   Regards John Posted by FLYJCW 15/09/2016 09:16:07