Sunday, October 6, 2024 2:40:32 AM

TF21 Exterior sill chrome strips

10 years ago
#1630 Quote
Has anyone got a good pair of external chrome sill trim strips they are willing to part with from a TD/E/F? Posted by Hewitt OPC 20/02/2014 23:07:44
10 years ago
#1631 Quote
Chris Prince must have some, based on his notes in the AOC Calendar, but I guess that's an obvious suggestion Posted by Philip 21/02/2014 17:05:28
10 years ago
#1632 Quote
Yes, Chris was my first thought.  He has only one pair which is reserved for someone already, I am however second in line for them should they become available again.  My TF is nearing paint so very keen to get them sorted asap for an early summer relaunch after a lot of hard work getting her back to shape with pretty much a full restoration. Also tried Red Triangle who unfortunately could only offer me an adhesive backed strip which wouldn't be right and wouldn't want to risk damaging the paint once a real pair came available.  Thank you for the response though Posted by Hewitt OPC 21/02/2014 18:25:04
10 years ago
#1633 Quote
Since no offers as yet and on closer inspection of my old sill strips I have realised they are in fact sainless steel! My plan now is to restore my dented trim, plug the holes left by the screws that had been used to attach them to the body at some stage of its history. I will use stainless steel and silver solder to repair the holes and also to make some corrosion free mounting bolts whilst the TF is away for paint. I'll post my results and pics when the time comes.  On a parallel thought and of no real importance, the TF radiator shell fins are also stainless steel where as on a TD they are chrome on brass.was this cost cutting or weight reducing? My thought is more likley cost cutting dressed as weight reduction butmI'm possibly wrong. Posted by Hewitt OPC 14/03/2014 21:36:11
10 years ago
#1634 Quote
This may be of limited use if yours are restorable, but there is a chap in the Rover P5 club who has had the equivalent strips remanufactured for the P5B. While I doubt they'd fit your car as they stand, he may be willing to share his source or collaborate with you to make them available for an Alvis or two, if there is sufficient demand. Have a look at eBay completed item 331160786319. I don't know him personally and haven't got a set of his trims but general feedback about the parts seems to be good.  Tony Posted by tonyl 30/03/2014 09:13:23
10 years ago
#1635 Quote
Thank you Tony, I have seen a couple of 3 litres now with a similar strip so this could be an option for someone. I'm going to stick with my original ones restored for now unless I'm not happy with the end result. It would be useful to find a manufacturer that could replicate, I had thought of making a die for my fly press to press the ends and keepthe low profile curved look but just another idea and project on the long list of to-dos! Posted by Hewitt OPC 03/04/2014 12:31:46