Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:09:03 PM

Towing or winching a TD/TE/TF21

5 years ago
#1478 Quote
If towing or wincing a TD/TE/TF21 with a single tow strap/rope, where on the car should it be fixed? There is no guidance in the owner manual. Presumably not on the ant-roll bar at the front of the underside of the car? Posted by Philip 17/03/2019 19:00:20
5 years ago
#1479 Quote
Philip when towing the TA21 I wrapped a wire rope around the front end cross member under the motor so it was midway. A wire rope is thin enough to fit within the narrow space between suspension and sump. I also used a thick towel wrapped around the rope where it could rub on the bumper bar as it exited. If you are using thick nylon rope you may have to make a V hitch first and attach it at convenient points nearer the  spring turret. Don't be tempted to use the sway bar as you will certainly bend it and destroy its mounts.  Hope this helps.   Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 17/03/2019 21:59:39
5 years ago
#1480 Quote
Philip A webbing strap round the cross member might be easier to handle than a wire rope and under no circumstances attach the tow line to the ARB or the  steering arms/track rods.It might be prudent to remove the no. plate and its brackets also remember stopping the car will be very hard work with no servo, particularly on a TE/F. If you are towing any distance use a properly attached bar rather than a rope or strap.  Good luck Posted by Peter Martin 20/03/2019 16:56:14
5 years ago
#1481 Quote
Thanks, all. Moved it yesterday, attached a tow strap around the lower wishbone next to the spring, with a towel tied up as a pad to protect the bumper/overrider, so the pad popped under the overrider when it straightened up or went round a corner. Steering and braking were much harder without their power/servo assistance. I didn't have far to move it, thankfully, and all went very well, thank you! Posted by Philip 20/03/2019 17:08:51