Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:07:09 PM

Running out of fuel at 1/2 tank indicated

5 years ago
#1466 Quote
Firstly apologies to the TC 21 forum on which I mistakenly posted this originally  The previous owner of my car had some fuel aeration issues which he and I had tried to solve, checking joints, replacing rubber pipes, usual issues. I was getting to a point where I twice 'ran out' of fuel at an indicated 1/2 tank. Following a conversation with Earley Engineering I removed the fuel pick-up assembly from the fuel tank. Sure enough, as he had suggested, both pick up pipes had multiple hairline cracks along there entire lengths. I sent it to them, pipes replaced, solenoid fixed, I fitted it back in yesterday and all is well. Great diagnosis, very efficient service. Posted by dominic taylor-lane 24/12/2018 08:36:20
5 years ago
#1467 Quote
Splitting fuel intake pipes is a common age related problem on the three litre cars. The fix is relatively easy. Below is a section of an article I wrote some time ago. It may be helpful to members.  "Unless the correct diameter brass tube can be found the replacement of the pipes may require a little ingenuity. 5/16ths  â€œthick walled” copper tubing  makes an excellent substitute and is easy to source. That said 5/16 ths tubing is slightly larger than the original brass version. ( Note: 5/16ths BSF 22TPI nuts and studs are to be found on many Three Litre engine parts and it is well worth having a tap and die in order for example, to clean out the manifold head threads and in particular for making new studs.)  Having cut and unscrewed the old pipes they can then be used as a pattern. The diameter of the two holes do not need enlarging. The 5/16ths  tap will fit neatly and a new thread can be cut straight in. With a die a thread can be cut onto the copper tube. Keep the new pipes straight at this stage.  After all the tasks have been completed they can be bent in order to fit into the special well built into the bottom of the tank. If one carefully unsolders the fine mesh screen it can them be used again. "   Members who would like information on rebuilding the solenoid that brings in the reserve fuel supply can contact me for the full article.  Happy New Year.  Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 26/12/2018 21:12:35
5 years ago
#1468 Quote
Hi Richard, Thank you for that. This is my first Alvis ( though far from my first classic ) May i ask a number of questions that you may be able to answer for me. My car is a TD 21 series 1, the previous owner had a TE cylinder head fitted. I only have TD information. Are tappets set the same for TD and TE ? is the timing the same ? Is the distributor advance curve the same ? I have a pinking issue, some of which may be down to a warn distributor, do you have any thoughts on timing and modern fuels ? regards Dominic Posted by dominic taylor-lane 27/12/2018 18:55:30
5 years ago
#1469 Quote
Dominic,  My knowledge is more centered on the TA-TC series. To find answers to your question go to the Club's website and download the Owners Manuals for both the TD and TE series cars. At the beginning of each will be a specifications section including valve clearance and static timing data.  With these at hand your comparison should be straight forward. If you can't access these send me an email and I will send them to you.  I don't believe that you will find a timing map for either engine. Who knows what has been done to your distributor. My own experience with an original TA21 distributor was that the factory curve was very ordinary and was no doubt influenced by the fuel of the day. I had mine remapped and it has certainly made a difference. That said I have maintained the factory timing at 5 degrees BTDC and use ordinary 91 octane petrol. The compression ratio is the original 7 to 1.  Hope this assists.  Happy New Year.  Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 29/12/2018 03:12:34
5 years ago
#1470 Quote
Dominic  re your queries on TD/TE differences etc.  Timing: TE is 10*  BTDC vs 5* Tappets:  012" all round vs 009" & 015" Dizzy: TE has a type 25D6  vs DM6 Carb needle : TE is TP vs TA (confusing)  Pinking is not normally an issue on a correctly timed TE/TD however if the the compression ratio has been increased to the TF level of 9:1 then in my experience she will pink and run on badly unless you use super unleaded, also the timing is 15*BTDC. I got the above data from the D Culshaw book  The 3 litre in Detail which I recommend.  In addition to the  car handbooks mentioned by Richard the relevant parts books are very useful, also downloadable.  Good luck  Peter Posted by Peter Martin 29/12/2018 13:49:12