Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:01:06 PM

TD engine timing marks and thermo carb operation

6 years ago
#1415 Quote
I would like to do a dynamic check of ignition timing with a strobe light. Can anyone tell me where the timing marks are and the best place to view them from? I seem to remember seeing something from the NS wheel arch with the wheel off but I really cant remember now. The book talks about yellow lines but I doubt they are still visible after 50 years.  In addition can anyone tell me where the thermostat associated with the thermo carb is supposed to be? I can't find anything on mine to match the way the wiring diagram is drawn, the solenoid negative just goes directly to an earth point on the scuttle. BUT mine still seems to turn off with engine temperature. There is nothing in the Thermo carb itself so I must assume there is something in the positive feed to the solenoid but I can neither see it or trace it (I thought the +ve to the solenoid was just direct wired from the choke switch on the dash.) where is the thermostat on the block?  Has anyone noticed that in the parts book plate EE shows the disk and spring etc of the thermo carb, upside down. As drawn it would not work at all. Additionally mine does not have the cup washer and I cant see what it would do  as the iron core running in the solenoid keeps the disk central on the seat irrespective of the spring centrality. Posted by haysx0 17/04/2018 20:37:31
6 years ago
#1416 Quote
Timing marks are on the flywheel and can be viewed through the hole on top of the bell housing. You may need to mark TDC on the bell housing to help ascertain the graduation on the flywheel which are in 5 degree increments I think. Posted by Angus D'Arcy-Drake 18/04/2018 10:53:36
6 years ago
#1417 Quote
The timing marks are on the harmonic  damper which is bonded on to the crankshaft  pulley, the outer face of the damper has the marks stamped on its circumference  in 5* increments from -20 to + 15  I think , TDC is marked and used to be painted white to  assist strobe timing,The fixed timing  pointer is at about 2 oclock on the front ally cover plate The harmonic dampers have a tendency to detach when the bond fails,very noisy, alarming and potentially lethal, they are then removed and thrown away and you can't time the engine. I have a feeling CP does replacements if you have lost yours. TDC  etc.also used to be marked on the flywheel & provided no one has moved it one pitch to enable the starter ring to last a bit longer you may be lucky.There is a viewing hole in the top of the bell housing I think. The thermostat is at the back of the head, NS, ,beneath the temp guage housing totally inaccessible  ,unless you take the head off, or have very long fingers .You may be able to just see the Lucar connector tab.The earth to the bulkhead sounds like a bodge to get round a failing stat. Some TF,s do not have the stat at all relying on the driver to switch the choke off, there is a telltale lamp between the big dials to remind  him/her to switch off. The incorrect picture in the parts book fooled me 20 yrs ago also when my TE would not start,blocked feed pipe, especially as the the thing fits together upside down . My car does not have the cup washer thing and works ok.  Hope this helps Peter Posted by Peter Martin 18/04/2018 13:02:43