Saturday, October 5, 2024 8:04:42 PM

TD21 lubrication oils and grease specifications

6 years ago
#1399 Quote
[attachment=0:26euugka]<!-- ia0 -->Alvis lube chart.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:26euugka] Checking the lube chart for my TD21. I know what engine oil, gearbox oil and brake fluid to use, but what grease do you use for your nipples (ooh err missus!) per the black circle symbols)and what oils for the rear differential per the X in O symbol and for the driveshaft per the black diamond symbols? Posted by Philip 01/03/2018 14:23:46
6 years ago
#1400 Quote
Philip,  I use Penrite oils as they are specifically made for our cars. Their products are sold in the UK. Have a look at their website at:  <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.penriteoil.com.au/">https://www.penriteoil.com.au/</a><!-- m -->   Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 02/03/2018 20:56:40
6 years ago
#1401 Quote
I used to use bog standard Castrol LM grease on everything, rightly or wrongly. I never experienced any problems as a result. Posted by Angus D'Arcy-Drake 05/03/2018 09:54:03
6 years ago
#1402 Quote
Philip  Have a look at p15 of your car handbook also the brass plates on top of the radiator if they are still there  Like Angus I used Castrol LM grease for years is now called Castrol Multi -Purpos available in Halfords , I suspect any general purpose lithium based stuff will do Triple QX from  Eurocarparts seems ok and they always have an offer on  I confess I have never used the Castrol Hi Press on the propshaft , LM seems to work ok  Back axle must have a hypoid oil, I have used a Comma product for years, currently using Triple QX  extreme pressure ,hypoid from Eurocarparts,also put it in the steering boxes.If you haven't changed the axle oil for a while you may be surprised how horrible it is  Hope this helps Peter Posted by Peter Martin 05/03/2018 14:07:57
6 years ago
#1403 Quote
Philip Apologies, the handbook I was looking at is for the TE and table of lubricants is presented simply on p15, having checked the TD  book the details are poorly presented on p14 . I suggest you have a look at the TE book reproduced in the members section.The main difference is that the Castrolease Heavy for chassis lubrication has been replaced with Castrol LM  Peter Posted by Peter Martin 05/03/2018 16:41:05
6 years ago
#1404 Quote
Thank you gents, I called Castrol Classic Oils in Cambridge and they were able to match current oils with the original specs, and good value, too. Now to find a pit or a lift so I can get access to all areas.... Posted by Philip 09/03/2018 10:29:24