Saturday, October 5, 2024 10:48:50 PM

Rear wheel hub half shaft nut

7 years ago
#1366 Quote
Anyone know the size of the castellated nut that holds the hub on the half shaft of a TE21. Is it an AF size or whitworth? I have purchased a wire wheel hub extractor from Orsom and will hopefully get the hub off now to replace the disc. Posted by haysx0 05/05/2017 11:27:10
7 years ago
#1367 Quote
Nut size is 1.5" AF ,& my socket is 3/4" drive . You will almost certainly need an extension bar on the ratchet to slacken the nut. If the puller fails to break the taper, try thumping it with the wheel hammer.If that fails tighten it up as hard  as you can and leave it overnight,it may let go .There will be a huge bang when the taper finally releases.Ifyou break your puller there are 2 other tricks which come with serious health warnings. Posted by Peter Martin 05/05/2017 17:03:46
7 years ago
#1368 Quote
Thanks Peter, I have purchased a wire wheel hub extractor (R and L threads so it does the whole car) from ORSON equipment (just before price goes up!). They make the wire wheels. Mick Fletcher put me on to them and it's a fair chunk of metal. If anything will pull the hubs this is it! If anyone in the club wants to borrow it in future they can drop me a line and either collect it or pay for the postage! (Whacking the extractor bolt with sledge hammers has been suggested as well as leaving under load overnight and re-tightening before the whack). I will let you know how I get on! Posted by haysx0 06/05/2017 13:37:19