Saturday, October 5, 2024 10:44:57 PM

TE21 replacement of rear disks

7 years ago
#1364 Quote
MY O/S rear disk is badly pitted and has corrosion because the inside cylinder has been sticking (and needs replacing). Getting the disks machined on the car seems impossible because non of the skimming people I have contacted have an adapter for their machines that will dive a wire wheel hub. The upshot is the disc needs to come off either for doing in the machine shop or replacing. As far as I can see this means pulling the hub disc and wire wheel adapter of the half shaft (a tapper with a woodruff key) in order to get at the bolt heads of the studs that hold the disc to the hub. Has anyone attempted this? I don't know what the tapper is but do I need to use a fairly hefty hydraulic puller or will a conventional spider type with centre bolt do the job?. Just getting the split pin out of the castellated nut looks tricky enough!  I remember that Mick Fletcher said he has had hours of grief getting rear disks off so I assume this is all a bit fraught? Posted by haysx0 03/05/2017 19:13:58
7 years ago
#1365 Quote
In case anyone is faced with the same job, I bought a purpose made extractor from Orsom, recommended by Mick Fletcher. With an impact wrench it made the job easy and the hub was off in seconds with no damage to the half shaft. If anyone is faced with this job you are welcome to borrow the thing, Either collect from Staines or pay the postage. (It's not light!) Posted by haysx0 26/07/2017 11:38:39