Sunday, October 6, 2024 1:20:32 AM

Spax adjustable shock absorbers (dampers) ?

9 years ago
#1253 Quote
Has anyone done any research into the best settings for these dampers? How many 'clicks' will give the optimum handling performance, do the cars handle better with a stiffer rear setup or a more equal front/rear balance? I have fitted a set of Spax to each of my 3 litres but I have to admit that I haven't spent much time setting them up. I think the TC handles quite well but my TF rolls more into corners, given that the rest of the suspension is in good condition I would hope that I could get a flatter response by adjusting the Spax correctly.  Andrew Posted by tf1695 26/01/2015 19:19:57
9 years ago
#1254 Quote
Sorry, no answer to your question, but it is an interesting subject not often discussed.  What adjustment is offered by the Spax shock absorbers? Is it just on rebound, or on compression as well?  Did you replace fronts and rears at the same time?  Did you source via RT (maybe they have good setting-advice to offer), or from a Spax distributor like Larkspeed?  I considered fitting them but did not proceed (yet), I was advised they may be difficult to balance, especially if the clicks do not give 100% identical adjustment at left and right units. So it is in the pending file until I can learn more about the potential benefits.  Usual setting procedure would be as you have almost certainly already done, i.e. start exactly in the middle, see how the car rides and corners, then adjust firmer or softer as one feels necessary, in very small amounts. Very firm is probably not such a good setting as although it may improve roll on cornering, it may be too harsh and stress some body components on rough surfaces. In any case, there are a lot of variables to consider with 4 units to adjust, especially if rebound and compression are both adjustable.  The alternative seems to be the standard units as offered by Chris Prince, maybe they are Monroes.  If the TC handles better than the TF, perhaps it has firmer rear springs, for example if they were replaced with slightly harder set / higher rate units at some time?  If you do find a significant improvement with Spax compared to standard units it would be very interesting to hear about it (and to hear about your experience of changing the rear units, maybe a bulletin article in the offing?).  Giles Lacey Posted by lacey giles 10/02/2015 16:31:18
9 years ago
#1255 Quote
Having checked with Spax, their recommendation is to start with the units at their softest setting, turn up in '4 click' increments until the ride becomes harsh and then turn back one click. The TF is away for gearbox work at the moment but I am going to check the settings on the TC in the meantime. There are so many variables regarding spring rate and condition, not to mention different tyre characteristics it may well be that every car will need its own unique settings.   These units work both in rebound and bump.  I have replaced rear shocks on at least four 3 litres over the years and it is far easier if you have removed the spare wheel tray and petrol tank beforehand! Posted by tf1695 10/02/2015 22:06:18
9 years ago
#1256 Quote
Giles and Andrew, not having considered adjustable shock absorbers before can you please indicate the part numbers for both the front and rears?  Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 12/02/2015 02:05:10
9 years ago
#1257 Quote
Spax list G371 and G372 in their `Classic´ catalogue, available as pdf from their website.  They are just listed for the TF. Posted by lacey giles 12/02/2015 09:30:55
7 years ago
#1258 Quote
I Have gone to soft +3, the same as on my MGA. To stiff and it makes life very uncomfortable. (Spax) Posted by dominic taylor-lane 27/09/2017 20:20:47